X10 Problem

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fine-tune

X10 Problem

Post by fine-tune »

Many years ago I built two complex brackets to support a simple X10 remote and
a control module. The darn thing has been in my garage for more years than I
can remember. The remote uses an A23 12 volt battery that also seems to last
forever.

The remote or control module is having a problem. It may not be fixable. I have to
press the off switch several times. (Yes, the battery is new.) The LED on the remote
does light up, which probably means the switch is ok. I have identical replacements
for those square 4-pin momentary switches soldered to the board.

Should I replace the off switch, even though the LED is lighting up? If it's not the switch,
I'll reluctantly junk the unit.

If I purchase a new remote/control module I would have to make new brackets. The
brackets I made were custom cut from sheet metal. They would never fit a new unit.

You may not remember much about these old X10 modules. They had a fixed frequency
represented by a letter. The unit I have is code C.
X10 Remote.jpg
Remote Board.jpg
dacflyer

Re: X10 Problem

Post by dacflyer »

i have had such problems with the modules before,, i'd try rotating the house / code rotary switches on the module,, use a screwdriver or whatever to rotate the switches back and forth a few times,, it seems they loose contact ( oxidation ? ) but jossiling the contacts a few times seems to fix it..
i thought it was the remote before, but turned out to be the module itself.
i have the multi unit remote, and it gives a fit, but it is the poor design of the buttons on it..
they are triangular metal click disk, and they do not work well at all.

i have several variations of the X10 units. the ones i miss are the X10 outdoor PIR units.
i have lamp units, appliance units, plugged in remote, and a clock unit, and even a 220v unit for me AC or heater. and a few of the PIR units that can tell me of motion, they can send a signal to a lamp module. works great to let you know someone is coming to the door.,i got mine to turn on a lamp module. i just with the handheld multi-unit was better built.

good luck..
fine-tune

Post by fine-tune »

It's hard to remember, but there were X10 modules that did not have a rotary code switch.
My unit is very simple! I think they were made exclusively for Radio Shack. There were
three codes. A, B, and C.

Because the LED on the remote is lighting up, I'm going to assume there is nothing wrong
with the remote. The control module must be at fault. Since there is no rotary switch on
the module, I'm not going to waste my time trying to fix the thing.

Some devices never seem to fail. When they finally do stop working you remember that
everything has a finite life.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you can still find them on ebay..
there are some that go by a different name brand, but are still compatible with each other.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

X 10 was a good solution at one time but now I find their hardware bulky. WiFi and other wireless based hardware will eventually take over its market. I've already noticed a price plunge on wireless enabled lighting products especially on ebay.

I have a box of old parts but no remotes like that.

Now that I am in a smaller house, I just use the light switches (most of which are now Occupancy switches that turn off automatically anyway).