Forum Migration Success! :)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
VernGraner

Re: Forum Migration Success! :)

Post by VernGraner » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Lenp wrote:Vern
The emoticons in the forum editor work but any from another source, like a smart phone keyboard create the following error: Hope this helps
========================================
Return to the index page

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x88' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Just wanted to give you folks an update. We know why this error is happening. It is a documented bug with phpbb. THis happens when you try and insert "emojis" into the forum posts. Details on the bug are here:

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11711

There is an updated version of phpbb that does allow emojis in posts, but it appears to be a "release candidate" (3.1.0-RC2) so not considered "stable" enough for "production" yet. For now, if you want to use a smiley in a post you will have to stick with the ones provided in the editor or you will have to track down the emoji you want to use as a web image and insert it using the [IMG] tag. Hope this helps for now :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Vern,
Well at least the air is clear on this one :smile:
Thanks
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)

MrAl

Post by MrAl » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi,

My problem was that there was no notification that the forum address was going to change, so for a few days now i thought the web site went down and maybe would not even come back up. Sure way to loose members :-)

Not even sure how i found it again now <chuckle>.
Hope it works out well.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.

dyarker

Post by dyarker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:03 am

My problem was that there was no notification that the forum address was going to change, so for a few days now i thought the web site went down and maybe would not even come back up. Sure way to loose members
Not even sure how i found it again now ...
It probably "came back" because the TTL (Time To Live) in your DNS cache (at connection provider) timed out, then the DNS server had to go to top level DNS where it got the new address.

There was a notification somewhere, a post here, or e-mail, ... didn't remember til link failed. Got new name from magazine home page. Yeah that's it!! :idea: Forum moved from servo server to nutsvolts. That gave it a new name and new IP. Had to edit URL in Favorites too!

Cheers,
Dale Y

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Ref: Forum,

I agree with your post regarding 'topic drift' that you made in the Keurig thread, but a question arises.
Is there any way to delete, or move a post? I know you can edit it, removing the text, but it still clutters up the thread.
If there is a way, maybe posts in error could be relocated to a more appropriate place!

Thanks,
Len

VernGraner

Post by VernGraner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Lenp wrote:Ref: Forum,

I agree with your post regarding 'topic drift' that you made in the Keurig thread, but a question arises.
Is there any way to delete, or move a post? I know you can edit it, removing the text, but it still clutters up the thread.
If there is a way, maybe posts in error could be relocated to a more appropriate place!

Thanks,
I'm sure its in the moderation control panel somewhere but I havent had time to dig up all the functions yet.. I think all it needs is a mod level to do it. hrm...

<googling>

Ok, so I found that:

"Click on the link to moderate the forum. Login as a user with mod priv's in your forum who has access to move posts. Go to the particular thread and at the bottom of it you'll see a "Move" option. Click on this and then select where you want to move the post too.Aug 24, 2006"

Huh. Sounds simple. :) so yeah.. I can move a post if need be. :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm

So then it's a moderator's privilege to move a post; the poster cannot move it.

Thanks.
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 pm

As I said to Len ^^ , I didn't mean to hijack his post, but I did try to get it back on track. As for cleaning up posts, I would think there would be a delete option for the mods that would get rid of double posts etc. from the shenanigans that the last server system was pulling on us members. I know there are several doubles I wish I could get rid of in order to keep the flow.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?

VernGraner

Post by VernGraner » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:29 pm

CeaSaR wrote:As I said to Len ^^ , I didn't mean to hijack his post, but I did try to get it back on track. As for cleaning up posts, I would think there would be a delete option for the mods that would get rid of double posts etc. from the shenanigans that the last server system was pulling on us members. I know there are several doubles I wish I could get rid of in order to keep the flow.

CeaSaR
Send me links to your double posts you would like to see disappear and I can kill'em off for ya. :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner