advice on how to connect 2 or more HDSP-253x displays

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

advice on how to connect 2 or more HDSP-253x displays

Post by dacflyer »

i been looking around the net and cannot find out how to connect 2 or more of the HDSP-253x
displays. i think most connections are parallel and the CE pins are in series ? in / out ?
anyone ever played with these smart displays ?

wonder if i can connect just a KB to a arduino and get what ever i want to display on the displays ?
haklesup

Re: advice on how to connect 2 or more HDSP-253x displays

Post by haklesup »

Well, I don't see any notes about operating more than one display in the datasheet. I suppose you can parallel the Address and Data and power pins but the rest of the control pins need to be driven explicitly from your controller. There are probably more than one way to configure that depending on how many bit lines you have available coming out of your controller. Some control pins like CLS and CLK and thermal test can be connected in parallel but I think you need to control WR, RD, CE directly from bit lines assigned to that task.

In code you would write to one bank then the other toggling the CE and WR lines as required by the timing diagram

These parts often operate exactly like SRAM chips but display what is saved in their memory. So you can write and read from them in the same way as external memory.
dacflyer

Re: advice on how to connect 2 or more HDSP-253x displays

Post by dacflyer »

that is still kind of over my head..trying to learn.. i have seen single displays.
that have for example.. arduino + SN74LS595N ( shift register ) to drive a single display.
but i am looking for how 2 or more would connect..