i need help finding a remote control module ( bluetooth )

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

i need help finding a remote control module ( bluetooth )

Post by dacflyer »

does anyone make a generic remote control module that is bluetooth powered ?
most all i find on the net requires you to use your phone..and i need a NON-Phone remote.
i need a bluetooth remote and receiver. the remote needs at least.. 0-9 and 4way arrows.
haklesup

Re: i need help finding a remote control module ( bluetooth

Post by haklesup »

Is this what you are looking for
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... fgodUEcIGA

The remote control apps on phones and tablets are usually either IR if the phone or tablet has an emitter or WiFi for devices that are enabled and connected to the home network.

What would the receiver do? re transmit in IR?

Bluetooth is usually short range making the remote work not much better than line of sight IR.

Some Smart TVs link to Bluetooth Mice and KB and Samsung does support some features by Bluetooth on select models and remotes but that's to support mainly the smart TV capabilities or Voice remote.

If you want to DIY, then there are plenty of Bluetooth Dev kits from several chip makers and they don't cost much. Most of the work is in writing the firmware and providing user interface buttons and a case etc. There are even Christmas deals
https://developer.bluetooth.org/Pages/default.aspx

Have you looked at Logitech generic remotes, some of them look like smart phones and some do support BT. The Harmony remote supports BT but I don't see any receiver and its expensive. I believe there is an assumption that your device will have that built in and you only need the transmitter.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

not exactly what i am looking for...but i am actually looking for a friend..

he is building a corn hole score keeper, and IR just does not work out at all in the sunlight.
so he was looking into BT.. i just have not found any handheld remote that has
a 0-9 and with 4 arrows..

i did find this...
KAG631__01.jpg
And suggested he use this and a RF transmitter / receiver pair.
this was best solution i could think of. he could toggle between the numbers and the arrows with the NUM LOCK button.. or use the arrow buttons off another KB and put them across the top line of the numeric KB ( NUM LOCK / * - ) and just reassign them.. i am sure he could do that since he is using Arduino to run the project.
what do you all think ?

:)

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

What the heck is a "Corn Hole Score Keeper" Some sort of Redneck bean bag toss?

"not exactly what i am looking for...but i am actually looking for a friend." Oh, that's so Sad :wink:

There should be wireless 10 key pads with USB receivers (BT or other wireless technologies) If he bases the game off a controller like Raspberry Pi then it has a place to plug that USB receiver into and do something with its data. Of course this requires some programming Not sure if his Audrino supports USB but maybe he's open to migrating to a more full featured dev board platform. Rasberry Pi Zero is selling for $5, there is little cost barrier, the full featured version is still under $50
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

corn hole is a variation of horseshoes i'd say...but it is a plywood game with a hole in it, and ya throw beanbags and try to get them into a hole to score.
corn hole board.jpg
i do not know the rules exactly, but GOOGLE can tell ya :P

he is a diehard fan of Arduino. and i know they have USB support.. that's how they program them,
so i assume it works.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Yes, I surmise Audrino can handle it. Some Dev boards the USB is just a client for programming the board, he will need a host capable port to interface to a BT or other wireless receiver.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if the is usb is for programming only , then there is a FTDI port for use, this i know for sure, as i have my GPS rec. connected to the FTDI port. and it is working great,,should have a case for it soon..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You know, Audrino has always confused me somewhat. I'm not sure to regard it as a chip, a language or a brand name. I think it can be characterized as a language burned into firmware loaded on a microcontroller made by a 3rd party but mounted on a PCB dev board by one of several brand makers. How close am I on that?

Frankly I understand the general Dev boards offered by the various chip makers a little better.

Whatever the difference, I think your Audrino programming skills should port fairly well to other platforms should you desire other feature sets.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

me personally i have no clue as how to write code or manipulate it.. all i can do is down load it to the device.
i understand things much better with a hands on teacher,,but i can't grasp it any by reading and doing.
i just can't get it in my head and then i have questions that i can't figure out... i had to get a guy in another county to help me with the code for my GPS clock...it works great now,,but we had a few minor bugs in the beginning ..
i want to build another clock now using HP HDSP-2531 displays.
i think i found a kit called "WiFiChron" supposed to have all sorts of support GPS, Wifi and bluetooth.
will find out more info soon..
jwax

Post by jwax »

Instead of bluetooth, could you go with a conventional AM transmitter/receiver, and let the Arduino sort out the digits at the receiver?
This gadget comes to mind:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16CH-DTMF-MT887 ... 1543668055

As you can see, it uses DTMF (phone tones) to send the various digits. As inputs to the Arduino, it then could communicate the transmitted digits to the host PC.
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i'll pass the info to him,,in the end it is all up to him what he wants :P
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I think I get it now: I saw nearly half an Isle at Fry's filled with Audrino kits and applicable add on boards this weekend. I think I have a better appreciation for the popularity if you can buy them off the shelf at electronics stores and catalogs. Most of the kits came with some passive components and the add on boards had sensors etc and compatible connectors making it fairly turn-key.

Dac, they have 2 Frys in GA now, just a 6 hour drive away for you
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

lol.. thanks.. when i was in "Hotlanta" i ventured to the one near Apharetta using public
transportation. ( subway and bus ) i still had to walk about 3/4 mile to get to the store,
but it was worth it. i was in there about another 2 hrs. :)
i see the other store is no closer to Atlanta tho :P
jwax

Post by jwax »

Random comments:

hehe- haklesup: "Audrino". I wonder if they considered that name before settling on, "Arduino"?

The Arduino does have a "Serial Monitor" output also. Handy for debugging code.

I wish there was a Fry's in every city!
WA2RBA
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"I wish there was a Fry's in every city!"

I have mixed feelings about that. If there were too many, they would become commoditized and be no better than Best Buy. However, I do think a Boston area store would be a great fit with the high ratio of engineers in the area.

Arduino; I'll work on that spelling (already updated my spell check)