Spam Madness?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fine-tune

Spam Madness?

Post by fine-tune »

When you have one question about a particular subject your only option is to
join a forum. I've joined more forums than I can remember, just to ask a single
question.

My question was about a "Vos Sports" jacket. The company selling them wasn't
helpful, so I joined a men's apparel forum. I didn't know that this forum was one
of hundreds hosted by the same company. Apparently, they're terrified of spammers.

After I registered and logged in a lengthy message appeared about their spamming
nightmare. It said I could only post after using a CAPTCHA, which I had already done
when registering. They said the forum moderators must "approve" me and then the
CAPTCHA wouldn't be needed.

The next day I attempted to login. It said I was banned forever because I was an
evil spammer! This has never happened to me before. I assume they use antispam
software, similar to antivirus software. As we all know, this kind of software is far
from perfect.

I actually sent an email to the webmaster, telling him (or her) I wasn't a spammer.
Really stupid. A complete waste of time.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

Very strange experience!
sghioto

Re: Spam Madness?

Post by sghioto »

Well there you go. Just yesterday I was in a discussion about be labeled after only a single incident ( Peter the bridge builder ). So from now on fine-tune will be known as "evil spammer". :mad:

Steve G
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I can relate.

I joined a forum, and I posted some info.
My post was pulled immediately, stating that I was Spamming and Flamming. :shock:

I later I posted some info on a subject.
That the moderator's quickly hijacked, and took over my thread.

I have since not gone back to that site, just because they are a bunch of snobbish control freaks.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
fine-tune

Post by fine-tune »

Yes! I love that name. I'm the Evil Spammer!

This problem reminds me of something else that can get you banned from some forums instantly.

I've been creating scripts for decades. These scripts automate incredibly complex and tedious
processes. The scripts are used in my home office and a small LAN (local area network) for
my business.

Forums that invite advanced computer users, often encourage their members to upload helpful
scripts. I ususally don't, because scripts are not "universal" executable programs. They must
be massively edited, to run smoothly on your computer.

Here is some really good advice!

Don't ever use the word "script" on a forum that's not populated with advanced computer users!
People will instantly think you're creating scripts to steal their personal data, or some other
horrible purpose!

I actually remember the only time in my life I committed a crime. When I was a boy in a small
town, I took a ten cent plastic ring from a toy store. I felt so guilty, I went back to the store
owner and apologized. My first after school job was at the same store.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

so you never even posted and they spam canned you, that seems unfriendly.

Most of that software looks at your IP address not your user ID since Spammers rarely use a handle for long. Determine your IP address (search on "my IP address") then look to see if you are on any black lists. At that point you can either request to be removed by each black list or attempt to change your IP address (may be as easy as rebooting your modem).

http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Those are not the only places that do that.

Our local town asked for the general townsfolk to help with some situations that are on going. So I created a new email address (I prefer not to be acknowledged for doing my civic duty) and fired off a helpful tidbit. The next day I checked that email and it was locked, claiming it was a spammer address. AFTER ONLY 1 EMAIL! After contacting the provider and showing that I could not be a spammer (the above reason ^), they restored it.

What has this world come to?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote:Those are not the only places that do that.

Our local town asked for the general townsfolk to help with some situations that are on going. So I created a new email address (I prefer not to be acknowledged for doing my civic duty) and fired off a helpful tidbit. The next day I checked that email and it was locked, claiming it was a spammer address. AFTER ONLY 1 EMAIL! After contacting the provider and showing that I could not be a spammer (the above reason ^), they restored it.

What has this world come to?

CeaSaR
You should of read the fine print. :lol:

On a lot of the E-mail, FaceBook, Twitter, Etc, services.
When you send the same message to more than 20 people.{Not exactly sure of the exact number.} :???:
They consider this spamming.
Of course this doesn't apply to large businesses, and certain organizations. :roll: :lol:

jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanks haklesup- using that blacklist link, I find out my PC has been hijacked.
Blacklisted from Spamhaus ZEN.
Can't be sure it's a real threat though, as I use these regularly:
Malwarebytes
CCleaner
Spybot

Should I be worried?
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

On a lot of the E-mail, FaceBook, Twitter, Etc, services.
When you send the same message to more than 20 people.{Not exactly sure of the exact number.} :???:
They consider this spamming.
Of course this doesn't apply to large businesses, and certain organizations. :roll: :lol:

Must be New Math where 1 email sent to 1 person = 20 or more. :mrgreen:

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"Should I be worried?" Yes but not about that :P

Getting blacklisted does not necessarily mean your computer was compromised by any malware. There are a myriad of reasons, some trivial but usually as detected by their algorithm at one of the clients it is installed on. For example if any PC in the detection network labels you as spam, the whole network shuts you out. Some work with emails but many cater to forums

All you can do is contact the blacklist to find out how to get removed. They may tell you why and then you'll know what needs to change. It happens to us periodically, IT usually makes a phone call or sends an email to a sysop and its fixed in a day or so.

Business emails are not immune to email limits, we use a 3rd party marketing mail company whose server is designed to send out compliant emails (ones you can really opt out of)