Power Pulser v.4

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: Power Pulser v.4

Post by haklesup »

"I still wonder about the nutritional value remaining in foods that are subject to the 2.4 GHz bombardment."

While I know plenty of people are worried about the effect on living cells of lower power signals (cell phones, WiFi etc) not many are concerned over the effects on foot anymore (not since the 80s have I heads such concerns when people still misunderstood the meaning of radiation in that context)

Besides modifying the cells through heating (that's what we call cooking) I can't even think of a mechanism of concern aside from transfer of cooking vessel materials to the food (see plasticizers)

Most Microwave ovens with digital panels have a % cook power setting which modulates the on off timing while the oven runs. You must have a very simple oven with just a mechanical knob timer or I don't understand why you are trying to make this timer thing since it already exists in just about all models. Ovens with steam sensors also work well but it sounds like you would want one with a temperature probe too

A foods nutritional value can only change in a limited number of ways. Cooking itself by any means alters the cells and therefore alters the way the body digests it. Most cooking causes drippings which will remove some nutrition but boiling is actually worst because minerals can leach or be washed out of the food and discarded with the water. As such Microwaving is probably similar to steaming but not because it is gentile but because the entire food product remains intact and that's good for a potato but not so much for a burger, you want those drippings to go away, that's all fat.

If one had a family history of C then avoiding foods based on PAH may be reasonable. However if you have no such history then avoiding pleasure a grilled burger based on broad epidemiological evidence is a bit like tearing up your drivers license because some people get in accidents. Medical science has not yet caught up and begun correlating these risks to your genetic propensity for any such diseases. I rather feel that PAH makes food yummy but I'm not very risk averse when it comes to eating either.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Sadly the truth is...

Eat well or eat poor
Good genes or bad
Great, or poor family longevity
.......a bus can still flatten you!

My father in law, a smoker and drinker, suffered from laryngeal cancer.
Before he died he asked me 'How did I get this cancer'
"Because you did not die from the heart attack two years ago!" I answered.

Life is a fatal disease!
All will dance with the Grim Reaper!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

"Most Microwave ovens with digital panels have a % cook power setting which modulates the on off timing while the oven runs. You must have a very simple oven with just a mechanical knob timer or I don't understand why you are trying to make this timer thing since it already exists in just about all models. Ovens with steam sensors also work well but it sounds like you would want one with a temperature probe too."

Even my knob operated microwave oven has variable duty cycle that varies the on/off times. Yet doing lots of cooking using that quickly wears the oven out.

A steam sensor could help with the initial heating that has to be watched and stopped once the food has reached cooking temperature. Once there, the timer circuit can hold it there for hours, turning the MW oven into a slow cooker, able to cook gently, and more convenient than a pot-type slow cooker because the cooking container can be one's own vessel of choice. Also, some items like my very much liked split peas became oxidized in my standard approach slow cooker. Generally, those standard slow cookers require very liquidy contents to prevent that problem. Most everything that I cook has too little liquid not to get ruined in my more standard slowcooker, which I should say that I built myself. I don't have space or money to confirm that with a premade one purchased from the store.

I thought about making an infrared temperature sensor that could be taped to the door window, but think that it won't get enough IR, with the metal screen in the window absorbing the IR. Too, the insulation around the cooking vessel would block the IR. I confirmed that problem by trying to read the temperature of something cooking inside. I used my point and read (remote reading by pointing sensor toward the item being checked ) thermometer, and it was barely getting anything through the window, making the temperature reading way too low.

The circuit has independent control of the on and off times, which no stock MW oven that I know of has. It turns off all power to the oven between on times, otherwise the oven would likely wear out in just a few months if used like I use mine. Usually the mechanical on/off contacts wear out. In a digital oven, it involves the relay, and in the knob-type ovens, it involves the timer switch.

I cook with my food vessels insulated. MW ovens on the market don't let the duty cycle be lowered enough to allow that benefit. It uses less energy to cook that way and produces less steam, and can cook the food very gently. If one lives in tight quarters, steam production can damage the building materials from condensation, and since I cook so much, all that escaping heat has to be disposed of if I don't insulate my cooking containers.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Lenp wrote:Sadly the truth is...

Eat well or eat poor
Good genes or bad
Great, or poor family longevity
.......a bus can still flatten you!

My father in law, a smoker and drinker, suffered from laryngeal cancer.
Before he died he asked me 'How did I get this cancer'
"Because you did not die from the heart attack two years ago!" I answered.

Life is a fatal disease!
All will dance with the Grim Reaper!
I'm going to keep opposing the Grim Reaper! Since I don't plan on dying from a heart attack, I want to try to keep cancer away.