Buying Components

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fine-tune

Buying Components

Post by fine-tune »

A few years ago I could drive to five Radio Shacks. All gone. There were also several other
businesses that sold hobby supplies and electronic components. They're gone too.

If you need a couple of items that are cheap, the shipping costs can easily be more than
the components.

You can search eBay for components and free shipping. Most listings that offer free
shipping are from China. Nothing wrong with that, but you're going to wait three or
four weeks.

Here's what I'm about to order from All Electronics (allelectronics.com):

3.5mm Open Frame (NC) Stereo Jacks___Qty. 6___SMJ-S
6ft. Cable W/3.5mm Stereo Plugs___Qty. 3___CB-121

Total: $9.72 Plus $7.00 Shipping

I keep telling myself that if these items were still available locally the cost would be
much higher, so I shouldn't worry about the additional shipping charge.

Before I place this order, maybe you can find something on eBay that I missed. I don't
even want to think about how much I've spent on shipping since all my local sources
went out of business.
sghioto

Re: Buying Components

Post by sghioto »

I keep telling myself that if these items were still available locally the cost would be
much higher, so I shouldn't worry about the additional shipping charge.
This generally falls under the "cost of doing business" heading. DigiKey offers First Class Postage on items under 8 ounces. Might find what you need there.

Steve G
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

You pay more for the first pound! The trick here, if the items are something popular and you use them often, is to keep increasing the quantity, while watching the calculated shipping charge. Shipping charges have a big upfront cost then added weight adds only a small amount, if any, so those added parts might ship free. Look for quantity discounts. Jumping from 5 to 10 may be a good deal if the pricing is right. I have jumped quantities and saved 50%!
Also remember that UPS, and others, calculate the billable rate as either the dimensional weight or the actual weight, whichever is greater. A bulky but light item, like large bags of potato chips, can cost a great deal to ship because the dimensional weight is greater than the actual weight! This compensates them for lost revenue when shipping large but light packages.

FYI:
Dimensional weight for UPS Ground= (LxWxH)/166 Air= (LxWxH)/139
Example a package 12x12x24 ....
The ground dimensional weight is 21 pounds, and the air dimensional weight is 25 pounds.
You pay for that weight, unless your package is heavier, then you pay the actual package weight!

To make it worse, in 2016 all UPS rates are increasing about 5%, based on the service! :sad:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
fine-tune

Post by fine-tune »

Does this sound familiar?

You started buying components many years ago. Most of what you purchased was not
for a specific project. If you were anything like me, you devoured catalogs and data
books like some people read the bible! I have racks with hundreds of little drawers.
Each drawer carefully labeled with a code.

Guys, I can't live that way anymore. Most of what I purchased on speculation was
never used.

The fact that hobby and electronic supply stores have almost vanished is very sad and
depressing. As a boy I could spend hours walking around these stores dreaming about
all the "magical" things I was going to invent. Staring at a computer monitor is no
substitute for real life experience.

Oh well, I'll place that order with All Electronics.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Yea, it does!
I bought tons of 74 and 40 series chips when R/S dumped them. Not much need for these now though, or probably then either!
I just hope I live long enough to make the tags for that big yard sale! It's funny, I find myself building storage and buying containers, for stuff I'll probably never use. Well maybe someday, I'll really need ONE of those parts!

But here's a conundrum. I design and build several specialty items. Much of the hardware is not Big Box stock but are items that must come from industrial distributors. I may need 20 for a project but must buy 100, or sometimes 1,000. Talk about residuals!

My after signature comment echo's some truth about our 'accumulations'
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)