Liquid Mercury

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Liquid Mercury

Post by Lenp »

In spite of the exaggerated hype and general paralyzing fear, over the years I have inherited and accumulated a quantity of elemental mercury. It was easy and common to find but exactly why I saved it, was forgotten. At one time I do remember considering building a replica antique mercurial barometer. Well, now this horde has just become a nuisance.
Years ago, scrap dealers paid for it, but now they won't even take it. There are 'recovery' companies that may be interested, but none that are nearby plus the the paperwork and fees are absurd. The local government will take thermometers during a yearly hazmat drive, and HVAC suppliers often take mercury based thermostats for recycling but won't take this bulk mercury.
School labs say "DO NOT bring it here, we spent big money becoming 'mercury free'!
I guess I could carry on and build that barometer but if the 'mercury police' find out, ...Well, I'm not into creating a CNN moment.

It guess it would be best to responsibly dispose of it, but how?

Side Notes about Hysteria:
A few years ago a local high school chemistry teacher retired, and created home lab to tinker in his retirement. The chemicals were standard lab-stock items, common enough and without controls. When he passed way his family packed up these chemicals and set them out for trash. Bling.. A CNN moment! Hazmat suits, Late Breaking News, Live Coverage..You get the picture.

A government agency acquired an empty factory building. During the clean up they found some cases of 'hazmat' items..Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, MEK, and Denatured Alcohol, left by the factory. Although most were in sealed cans and cases, they still disposed of it as hazmat materials, in big absorbent filled drums, with threatening labels, at a very high co$t! (I offered to take some home and you should have seen their fearful reaction! :shock: ) When the building renovation was done, a traffic & transit sign shop was the occupant. Soon, cases of of Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, MEK, and Denatured Alcohol were delivered to the building for their use.

Oh, now I remember now why I saved it... I liked playing with it with as a kid...probably, like many of you!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Re: Liquid Mercury

Post by dacflyer »

if your wanting to get rid of it.. try contacting a NEON SHOP in the area.. they still use mercury in Argon gas NEON..
when i used to make NEON, i bought small bottles of it and used a diabetic syringe to control the dispensing of it very carefully.
the mercury is used to help light the glass, as the Argon gas itself is not enough to light the neon properly. NEON gas does not need this. only the argon. and ya i did salvage a lot of the mercury bulbs in thermostats, i used a jewelers file to score the glass and then a slight wave of the torch finishes cracking the class, then i just use a funnel to pour it into a bottle for later use.
jwax

Post by jwax »

What quantity are you talking about? Grams, pounds?
Contact the post office, or UPS/FedEx to know their rules for shipping, and put it up on eBay.
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

It's in plastic bottles, probably between 3 and 5 pounds total.
It cannot be legally shipped via USPS but it can be shipped UPS with special packaging requirements.
Any takers?
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

A metal recycler might actually pay you rather than charge you if it is uncontaminated. Officially you should call your local land fill for instructions on where to dispose. Giving it to a Haz Mat company will cost the most. Few if any businesses will want it. Occasionally communities wil have free household waste disposal days at the local dump, call the see when and if they would take it.

Just don't give it to someone who wants to use it for gold refining, that's the dirtiest use as it will be burned off into the atmosphere

I used to work in a electronic failure analysis lab (think CSI for chips) and some techs were clipping gold leads and saving them in a jar to recycle later. We also had some mercury for some reason I don't recall, a decent amount a few pounds. Some other tech decided if he couldn't have some of the gold, (or maybe he was experimenting), mixed the gold pins and the mercury. Now Mercury wets to gold very well making it uncleanable and contaminating both materials. They sat in a jar until the lab was decommissioned and Haz Mat took it with a bunch of other nasty chemicals.

Plastic bottles are better than glass but they can still break especially with such a dense liquid. I suggest you put the plastic bottle in a steel paint can with shredded paper or foam packing.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Lenp, I sent you a PM, but the way this forum has been running, I can't be sure you received it.
Could you check, and get back to me?
Thanks!
John
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Jwax
PM returned, just in case it doesn't get there!
Len