help with a custom dimmer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Joseph

Re: help with a custom dimmer

Post by Joseph »

A possibility is to power the display through two resistors for day, and just one of them for night. The extra day resistor that gets paralleled with the night one probably won't have the same value as the night one. That is, going from night to day requires less than double the current that night requires. That's my impression.

On the the hand, the day resistor paralleled with the night one might actually be close to equal.

Also, if it would be easier to implement, you could use resistor values that allow one or the other to work alone.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Joseph wrote:A possibility is to power the display through two resistors for day, and just one of them for night. The extra day resistor that gets paralleled with the night one probably won't have the same value as the night one. That is, going from night to day requires less than double the current that night requires. That's my impression.

On the other hand, the day resistor paralleled with the night one might actually be close to equal.

Also, if it would be easier to implement, you could use resistor values that allow one or the other to work alone.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i could have done that, but i do not have any resistors of that wattage. would need 10-15 watt resistors. plus it would not be adjustable then either..
good idea tho.
i was also actually thinking to use the instrument panel dimmer from a old car ( the electronic type )
but i can't find any 2 of them alike..