USB port to Wifi to television ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

USB port to Wifi to television ?

Post by Externet »

Very confused on how and if it will work.

My satellite television receiver features a USB port. It comes with a USB Wifi dongle antenna.
----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Premium-mini ... 418695fc67

My television has a USB input jack. If I plug one of the following to the television, will it work as a wireless link, as to watch on the TV the audio/video programming from the receiver ?
----> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ft ... e&_sacat=0

Or, do you need more data,
or, this Wifi thinghy is only for computing applications and not audio/video ?,
or what I need is something else ?

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Re: USB port to Wifi to television ?

Post by jwax »

Wow. I'd like to know that too Miguel!
I always thought the USB port on a TV was only for updates, but could be wrong on that.
Also, cannot understand that some USB WiFi sticks are $.80 and some are way more than that.
Plug it in and see what happens!
WA2RBA
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for description.
which of your pieces of equipment have type "A" or type "B" USB connectors?
Dale Y
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Not that this will clear this issue up but......

My Vizio TV's have a USB jack. I can select it from a Vizio menu as 'MEDIA', and view music, pictures and videos on the USB device plugged into it. The instructons says "Does not work with hard drives' .. BUT... That is only true with NTFS drives. FAT32 drives will work. Since FAT32 has a size restriction I found a NTFS to FAT software converter that changes a 1Tb drive from NTFS to a FAT32 with no loss of data!

Also the set has both ethernet and wireless connections that will allow YouTube, Netflix and other apps that can be installed from an Apps menu. This is all in addition to the normal RF, A/V and HDMI inputs.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Externet

Post by Externet »

dyarker : both the satellite receiver and the television have 'A' type USB ports.

I thought the USB ports on televisions are mainly intended to use them as 'picture frames/slides show display' reading a USB memory stick with photos in it. But do not know if actual video (+audio!) instead of photos can be equally fed.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Dyarker, Yes it does!
I use a 2TB external USB drive with the Fat32 format, and the USB port on the Visio suports all of the media, video, misic, pictures on the associated drive, but some video file codecs may not be supported, so they need to be converted before storing on the drive. Remember that the USB has a digial signal that is being processed, not a video/audio signal. The set's app also provides a file like structure to select the file to use.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Lenp,
Dyarker, Yes it does!
Which does what???

Externet,

"A" ports are on USB Hosts, and you can't 'directly' connect host-to-host. The antenna thing in 2nd link of original post is a USB Device with a male "A", so it does not need the usual "A" to "B" cable to connect to a host.

The thing in 1st link looks like it has a cable with "B" connector plugged in, so I'm confused when you say both your equipments have "A".

I'll beg out, rather than tell you (and other readers) a wrong thing.
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

This site is acting wierd on posts.

The wndow went white when pressing the submit button for above post. To avoid double post by refreashing, I went directly to home page again.
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i been using the back button, backing out to a useable page then hit the board index or such..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

For that satellite receiver, the USB antenna looks to be unique to that brand and appears they did not integrate wifi into the box but instead include it as an add on

It depends on the TV but most with USB ports are only good for either powering another device like the google Chrome dongle (which interfaces to HDMI, USB is simply a 5V supply) or to memory devices like USB sticks and USB HDD to play photos or Video of supported formats using software built into the TV. In some cases, a Keyboard and Mouse can also interface (as in TVs with web browsers). Some also interface to Webcams but in the case of Samsung, only their own expensive one (implying the USB driver is not universal)

One TV I have only uses USB as an external memory for storing DVR like video for delayed or paused viewing especially when watching OTA material. That TV does not do anything else with it except power supply output

In no cases have I seen a USB used for a WI Fi connection or to transfer video that is not in a computer digital format (no USB to wifi or USB to Video out) and generally the USB ports cannot write data out to memory devices, they are mainly input devices. This may change as smart TVs get smarter and manufacturers think of new things to sell us, especially if we ever see gaming integration.

If you want a TV with a wireless WiFi link, you have to buy one with that feature included. The alternative is to abandon the TV altogether and use a Tablet or smart phone as your video device and use the WiFi direct or HDMI cable output to connect to a larger display. Its not quite wireless TV unless you also get a sling box (or equivalent) to stream your video to your home network

If you pay enough to cable, then you have apps to play on demand and live TV on your devices, at that point, your mobile devices become the cable box in your second and third rooms without paying the second jack fee.