RadioShack into bankrupcy...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Re: RadioShack into bankrupcy...

Post by MrAl »

[double post and no way to delete replies so please see previous post and ignore this one]
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Today I went to a still open RadioShack =The battery store != kind of nearby (25 miles) for a watch battery,

Sadly, I had to tell the lady - "Sorry, am not paying six dollars fifty for a 317 watch battery; that is why RS is going belly up."

A 99c watch has a battery in it, plus the watch. :sad:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" (Mark Twain)

I was just browsing the RadioShack flyer in my newspaper. Apparently the stores are still here (though far fewer and harder to get to). Right now you cannot buy anything on the website but a banner says it will be coming back soon. Banner also says "RS is back and Here to Stay" So far, looks like the same phones and toys as before the shakeup but the clearance section belies a shift in the brands they will be carrying.

Interesting Changes

Most of the Mall stores are gone but a handful of Strip-mall plaza stores remain (only 6 in the San Jose South bay area)
They have rebranded Components into a DIY section
They have a Maker section where they have featured a customer project
They have a Sizable Clearance section and are dumping Enercell batteries for cheap as well as many other mainstays of the old RS brands
Finding items in any given store is hit or miss or (call store to check inventory)

This is what caught my eye (though not the only place you can get it)
http://www.radioshack.com/sphero-bb8-robot/6001385.html

I don't think the RS and Tandy branded products made it but the storefronts did, something to watch in the future
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I understood that the R/S stores were franchised, so those that are still open must be connected to some feed stock from someplace. I still feel that the demise of R/S is like siting on the gallows waiting for the hangman to come back with a new rope!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)