Laser Cutting Plastics (Moved)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Laser Cutting Plastics (Moved)

Post by Lenp »

(Moved from 'Up For Grabs')

Anybody here with practical advice on laser cutting plastic parts. I am considering doing it in-house for some parts we use.
Especially looking for machine advise, good or bad. Hints and tips also welcome.
Thanks...
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Externet

Re: Laser Cutting Plastics (Moved)

Post by Externet »

Hi Len
Very first thing, buy safety goggles, and test them as good blocking and working. Bought a chinese crap ones and were good for nothing.

Then, -----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Precise-40 ... 2c8d36c7e9
Actually affordable if fits your size needs.

Some comments at ----> http://hobbylasercutter.com/

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi and thanks for the response Miguel.

Do you have hands on experience with the 40w unit you linked? And was that a recommendation?

I use an older CAD program that can export as DXF files so I wonder if those are compatible, or will the files need conversion to something else, like G-Code which is a popular in the CNC world. The eBay listing seems to mention mostly image formats. I can also print to a pdf with a pdf driver.
One problem is trying to determine what wattage is really needed. I expect the laser tube ages so I would want to have enough headroom to avoid replacing the tube.

The work space on the unit you mention is adequate now for my needs, and the space in the already cramped shop it could fit into.
Also a site I visited had several posts about the health and machine risks in laser cutting some plastics but I wonder if this a bit of panic posting.

It looks like that unit ships from the West Coast so I hope they offer some support from there.

Comments welcome!
Len

Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Len.
Not a recommendation, just picked ~40 W by 'smell' for plastic cutting after drool-watching TapPlastics laser in action cutting signs. Felt like will fit you, but call the vendor and tell which kind of what thickness plastics you plan to work with, and expected speed.
The 'size needs' relate to the plastic size to be cutted, not the footprint of the machine on your bench.

Calling them will also clarify the CAD programs accepted by the machine. And ask for goggles as bonus :grin:

Come back with findings !
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

I spent a little time in a laser cutting shop, and here's a few suggestions:
1) Buy more laser power than you think you need. Underpowered laser cuts are ugly.
2) Do install heavy-duty ventilation. We cut 1/4" acrylic with a 1,000 watt CO2 laser and it will fill a room with nasty smoke real quick!
3) Most CO2 and YAG lasers will outlive you, provided they are properly maintained.
4) Take a course in Laser Safety! There are many, "I never thought of that!" scenarios that can take out your vision before you can, "bat an eye"!

With all the above considerations, have you considered water jet? :)

John
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi John
No I didn't consider water jet but by reviewing the comments and suggestions, here and online, I am now wondering if a CNC router wouldn't be a better choice. It has some of the capabilities of a mill on a reduced scale, with less money and complications.
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

So .....
Anybody here have experience with the flood of Chinese CNC Routers on Ebay?
There are many videos online but I am looking for hands-on experience opinions.
Thanks!
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

Size matters Len! A tabletop CNC Mill that has a 6" X 8" working area is way cheaper than a 18" X 24" working space.
How big of an area do you need?
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Well right now a small table is all that is needed but I would like to have the ability to go up to about 8x10 so I can machine front panels and graphic overlays. From what I've seen the smaller ones are below that size. I have been looking at the 6040 series of machines that are all over the place. I not a high maintenance type but would like to get one that had US stock and support. Learning the CAM software and probably MACH3 is enough without needing to add a foreign language for tech support. Although I design and build a lot of items, this machine is intended to work for it's keep and not be a hobby class assert!
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

It's hard to believe that nobody on this forum has one of these CNC router wonder toys!
I can see it being a lot more useful than a 3D printer.
Shout out and help a confused old guy make a decision!
Len