TV signal conversion

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dean Huster

TV signal conversion

Post by Dean Huster »

I have a Sony video/audio receiver that has always been wonderful. Enter HDMI. The only way (that I know of) to hook up my new Blu-Ray player is through a HDMI cable directly to the TV which bypasses the audio system and gives me crap for sound, quite the opposite of what you want with Blu-Ray. TV has no audio outputs, so that's not an option. How can I get the audio into the Sony receiver? The Blu-Ray has HDMI out only.

Is there an HDMI adaptor (powered or passive) that will provide video and audio out to RCA phone jacks? I'm into test equipment, not all this new fangled video crap. I've been perfectly happy with RCA phono connectors that were used in the 1930s as well as the 2000s.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Externet

Re: TV signal conversion

Post by Externet »

Dean, perhaps one of these will help you :
----> http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Au ... B00AHS8LD8
[For composite video CVBS + audio L,R]

----> http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-538581-H ... 723&sr=1-6
[For component video R, G, B + audio L, R] and low cost.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Re: TV signal conversion

Post by haklesup »

They have been weaning us off RA jacks for over a decade. It was not long ago that blue ray players had both HDMI and composite outputs that included the red and white RCA you crave. But even if you used those, you would be stuck with lower quality sound as 5.1 audio w probably wasn't supported (maybe DTS or some other encoded method). if you want the best sound, you need to use either optical, digital RCA or HDMI interconnect.

You can't have it all with legacy AV components and low cost TVs, you either need a better TV with more output options or a better AV receiver with HDMI native (and now they have decent up scaling for older RCA inputs)