Microchip

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikev

Microchip

Post by mikev »

Hello :smile: Firstish post I think...I apologize in advance if this is not the correct thread but I could not find another to ask. I will just come out and ask what are cy7c185-20pc... 8K x 8 Static RAM. I looked up data sheet with fail. The reason I ask is...my wifes grandfather past away and I inherited his stuff. I got two mystery boxes. Tons of electronics components inside from caps, resistors, and hundreds of chips. Its gonna take while to go through to see what I have. I have a parrallex board and bot, arduino board, n & v, servo... I'm not the newest guy, but I will be learning for the rest of my life... Anyhow, will I ever use the chips in project ...maybe for my robot. Any clarification will be of great help. Thank you in advance. P.S. Yes I know they are memory..but can I use them in MY projects or are they application specific. :smile:
jlocke

Re: Microchip

Post by jlocke »

Here's just one of the links I found with the datasheet (did a Google search on 'cy7c185-20pc')... http://www.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-p ... -20PC.html
Whether you can use them or not is up to you.
mikev

Post by mikev »

Thank you for the reply. The data sheet I found did not have the function and operation section as the one you have linked. Off to more research. :smile:
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Static rams are geenrally easy to apply in circuits (as compared to DRAM or SDRAM or even serial flash) without a controller and all sorts of timing considerations. SRAMS can usually be addressed and read at near DC speeds. Your chip by name is 8 bits wide by 8kbits deep, a pretty useful size. Given the audrino and paralax boards, I would expect this chip to be useful and compatible with these processors. They can even be address multiplexed for larger memory space. What package are these 28 pin DIP? These should prove useful. Just about any 8kx8 SRAM should work the same so you should be able to reference other datasheets from other brands for more app note info.