what parts to make the power supply built?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Volter

what parts to make the power supply built?

Post by Volter »

Hi, I have this design of a power supply that I copied from a book and I would like to build it but I want to make it a variable power supply. What other components I would have to add to make it a variable power supply, would you guys know?
Thanks much.
pwr_supply_drw.jpg
Robert Reed

Re: what parts to make the power supply built?

Post by Robert Reed »

As it stands, it already is a variable supply - so don't add anything.
One note here and that is this supply will not go to zero volts, rather the low point will be 1.22 volts above or below ground. If you desire it to go to zero volts, you will have to take R2,R3 to -1.22v and +1.22v respectively.
Volter

Post by Volter »

Alright, it is regulated. What I meant is that "I" want to regulate the output voltage! :smile:
So, what it would take to make it regulateable by the user? I know I need three meters, two for the voltage and one for amps but what it would take to implement the controls and where I would connect them on the circuit.
Thanks much.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

The power supply as drawn does have a regulated voltage output adjusted by R2 and R3 (+ Voltage and - Voltage respectively). The LM 317 being a positive regulator and the LM337 being a negative regulator. The supply is not designed for large current. Note the transformer used. :)

Ron
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

If you still have access to it- see N&V March, 2007.