Back to backlights...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Back to backlights...

Post by Externet »

Hi all.
Another glitch... The backlight on my 3 year old TV is acting up. After about 4 minutes, the screen loses backlight. Image is there, audio is there, all controls are there.
Let off for a while and same story a few minutes after turning on, all CCFLs go off, not like some stay on and some do not.
That tells me the CCFL lamps are good. -Are they ?
That tells me the inverter works. -Does it ?
That tells me the problem is after something gets warm. Is it ?
Of course, unable to find a schematic for this TV : Trutech PM1919B

Inspecting the circuitry; a TL494c PWM IC drives a couple of dual mosfets 4511GD to two pairs of CCFL tubes.
Connected other lamps to it; they work.
Searched for 1/8" x 1/8" surface mount LED strips replacement instead of CCFL; did not find; and suspect that if I find them; would cost more than the TV. So here we go again on the ranting... Planned obsolescence. Keep landfills well fed. Buy more chinese crap, as there is no other source.

Somewhere I read that if the current in all the lamps is not 'balanced' , the circuit may shut down itself. It may be right; never seen a backlight set partially off --- Brilliant ! :x
If that is the case, you are left with nothing instead of one or two lamps extinguished. How to disable the 'unbalance' shutoff ?

Where would you continue troubleshooting with no schematic ?

Miguel :cry:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
CeaSaR

Re: Back to backlights...

Post by CeaSaR »

Sounds like a "heat" related problem. Maybe not high heat, but enough heat to make a component
not have good enough contact with the board or get to a failure state. Try some freeze/cooling spray
to narrow down where the problem is situated. Then look for bad solder joints.

That would be my course of action. Many problems in today's electronics are due to faulty connections.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you also might try looking for bad caps on the inverter board or power supply that's feeding the inverter.
CCFL lamps rarely go bad.. they have a very long life.
but inverter boards etc will go bad,, usually caused by bad caps.. if caps get too bad, they may even cause the inverter or PS to fail completely..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Well, found something in order to replace CCFLs with LEDs strips backlighting:

http://www.lcdparts.net/howto/howtolb.aspx

They sell the strips. Now where does it make any sense; I do not know. Two strips cost nearly the same as a new TV with LED backlighting. It is a mystery how some business expect to succeed that way. :?

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -