electric flyswatter turned battery desulfator?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
BrewBeer

electric flyswatter turned battery desulfator?

Post by BrewBeer »

Ok I bought one of those Electric fly swatters from Harbour freight a few years ago. I never use it but its still around, I put a volt meter on it and I'm getting about 2Kv. I have not attempted to measure the amps. I was wondering how possible it would be to turn this into a battery desulfator. I was thinking of using a 555 timer to control the pulse time, I would send a pulse to a 4n35 octocoupler to isolate the circuits and send high voltage pulses to the Lead Battery. Am I dreaming things up here or should I just go ahead and do it. Its really simple circuit I'm just trying to be frugal with my parts. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Aaron
dacflyer

Re: electric flyswatter turned battery desulfator?

Post by dacflyer »

interesting.. i myself am not sure. but i have had exp with the electronic flybat.
but to my amazement it will pop some of the bigger flys, and they just shrug it off :O
i sort of modified mine.. installed a bigger cap and removed the bleeder resistor..lol
i also know what the zap feels like too. :P
i had it charged up and ready for a pesky fly buzzing me every few min. doing a low alt, hi speed flyby.
every few min he'd buzz right across my field of vision Grrrr...
well needless to say i finally got him good. them juicy ones sizzle and pop so good.lol
but anyway i laid it down on the floor by the couch.. and somehow i accidentally got my big toe in the grid.. POP! that smarted good. and lasted for a good while. felt like i was popped on the toe good with a rubber band.. right between the toe and toenail.
ok, enough bout me.. sorry if i blabbed too much, but i just wanted to share...
me and friends would deliberately zap each other too for fun :P try it some time,, great fun.
but remove the bleeder resistor 1st :P
Smoke_Maker

Post by Smoke_Maker »

dacflyer, thanks for that, I just got up off the floor LOL.

I tried desulfering batteries but didn't get any useful batteries out of it. I used rectified 240 volts with a light bulb in series.
Richard Furniss
is it suppose to smoke like that ?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i never had any luck with them desulfaters..
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

Just by putting a higher voltage to a battery than it is rated for is not a good idea. If this gets rid of the caustic properties with a good battery it should do the same with a sulfated one. I think you are thinking of putting a higher voltage to the battery to increase the rf field or the magnetic field to get it working. This might work if it was in series with other batteries because then it would be free of other contaminants in the power source like not mixing two types of batteries.
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

Here is a fast way to connect batteries to get a high voltage zap. You should put a battery or two that aren't working in line with them though. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2fD-hYVLxE