HOW TO REGISTER FOR THESE FORUMS!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
VernGraner

HOW TO REGISTER FOR THESE FORUMS!

Post by VernGraner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

NOTE: You don't need to do this if you already have a working account!

Wait, now it's Picture Matching?!
If you've been following this saga, then you may already know that due to the excessive number of "spambots" that were signing up and polluting our forums, we are using registration authentication methods to try and separate the "real folks" from "spammers".

For those of you keeping score, :smile: here's what we've tried so far:
  • Method: Captchas
    Description: Distorted letters and numbers hard for spambots to read, "easy" for humans
    Result: Poor at stopping spammers.
    Issues: Spambots can sometimes read the distorted letters easier than people! :shock:

Method: Topical Questions
    Description: Ask questions that should be easy for our readers to answer, but hard for spambots
    Result: Fairly good spam stopping, but higher "overhead" + annoying to some users
    Issues: Spambots can sometimes answer the questions using google, the questions had to be created and changed on a regular basis and some users that didn't know the answers got frustrated / gave up trying to register. :sad:
So this is what we're using now:

The new system shows you a picture and asks you to find the closest match. The pictures change on a regular basis and should be "easy" for real humans to figure out but hard for a "bot" to match. We will keep an eye on this as we do our best to protect your forums from the noise and annoyance of spammers.

I've tried it and I still can't get in! What can I do?
If you are having difficulties creating an account, please don't get frustrated and give up. We are happy to help you get an account setup and we have real-live human beings that answer the phone at the T&L Publications offices! To get help registering for the forums, call 951-371-8497 and ask for Sean. He'll get you set right up. :cool:

Thanks for your patience! :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner

BobCochran13

Re: HOW TO REGISTER FOR THESE FORUMS!

Post by BobCochran13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 am

Hi Vern, it is good to see you continuing your involvement with Nuts and Volts. You have a whole lot to offer the community with your amazing skills and writing talent.

When I registered for these forums, I was actually re-registering because you mention a new authentication system. And after reviewing this thread I have to say that I failed to correctly answer the first two questions that were asked of me by the registration process. I feel lucky to have succeeded with the third question.

I was just thinking...maybe you can publish an email address that real people looking for registration help can use?

Many thanks!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland

VernGraner

Post by VernGraner » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 am

BobCochran13 wrote:Hi Vern, it is good to see you continuing your involvement with Nuts and Volts. You have a whole lot to offer the community with your amazing skills and writing talent.

When I registered for these forums, I was actually re-registering because you mention a new authentication system. And after reviewing this thread I have to say that I failed to correctly answer the first two questions that were asked of me by the registration process. I feel lucky to have succeeded with the third question.

I was just thinking...maybe you can publish an email address that real people looking for registration help can use?

Many thanks!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland
Trying to keep the spammers out of the forums is a tough job. We're trying all sorts of things. The issue with posting an email address is that if we do, that address will likely get flooded with spams making it hard to find the "real" messages. :???:

I've been trying to come up with new questions for the authentication process that are both hard enough to keep the spammers out, but trying not to make it a burden for the readers that want to subscribe. Like I said.. tough to figure. I may try placing my email address up on the "how to register" area in case someone gets really stumped. I know how frustrating it can be to want to gain access to a forum and not being able to get in! :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner

ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm sorry about that. I was in a hurry and didn't check the post over and thought I had a good answer. I was in a hurry because I was wondering if I had to create a new account. I couldn't remember that part of the post too.

VernGraner

Post by VernGraner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 pm

ringo47stars wrote:I'm sorry about that. I was in a hurry and didn't check the question over and thought I had a good answer. I was in a hurry because I was wondering if I had to create a new account. I couldn't remember that part of the question too.
No problem at all... I'm just really sorry we have to resort to these silly tactics to keep spammers out! :mad: They make life so miserable for all involved.

I'm just glad you've gotten your account all logged in and I really hope you have fun with the new forum design. :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner

Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:46 pm

If you followed the posting in GENERAL about "Forum Login", you will notice that some of us (all of us?) are still having to log in every time we visit. Can that be fixed or is it due to continuing experimentation for spam blasting?

VernGraner

Post by VernGraner » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 am

Robert Reed wrote:If you followed the posting in GENERAL about "Forum Login", you will notice that some of us (all of us?) are still having to log in every time we visit. Can that be fixed or is it due to continuing experimentation for spam blasting?
The issue people are experiencing is an artifact of the move. We think its fixed now..let us know if not. :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner