Which DC outlet would you use ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Which DC outlet would you use ?

Post by Externet »

Hi all.
If you were to add to your home 12 VDC wiring for ceiling lights and some wall outlets; which distinctive (polarized) wall outlet jack (and plugs) would you select available off-the-shelf in the market ? No cigarette lighter jacks, please; something reliable.
Miguel
oxox
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
MrAl

Re: Which DC outlet would you use ?

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

For low cost and wide availability i think Molex connectors would be great. The same 4 pin type that
are used in computers for the peripheral connections. They are also pretty reliable. Not sure
however how many plug/unplug cycles they are good for though, you may want to check that.
You could run 12v and 5v and two grounds, or just use two pins for 12v and two for grounds.
Current ratings are good for these too.

You might also have to make your own junction box face plates to hold the connectors, or just
a door with two or more dangling connectors inside and holes for the wires coming out after the
door is shut. Another possibility is to mount two connectors on a PC board and mount the board
inside the junction box. Some motherboards do this to allow direct connection to the 12 and 5v
supplies via a PC mounted molex. This kind of connector has the typical molex sleeve too only
it's mounted on the PC board rather than on dangling wires coming from the power supply.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Like Jameco p/n 165730, 3.5mm, female, panel mount.

?? How many amps per outlet? I would fuse it at each plug. The "wires-in-the-walls" will be longer runs than is usual for 12V, for whatever max current you decide on you'll probably want to go one or two AWGs larger to keep voltage drop tolerable.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi Guys,
If I needed a connector for a low voltage distribution system I would definately consider the Speakon connectors. Their original use, is for professional speaker conections but they should prove to be reliable and rugged for a DC applictation.

Neutrix, and others, make great ones and they are available from many sources in both 2 and 4 pole. These connectors are locking, in both cord end and panel mounting (electrical faceplates are available), positive locking yet easy to use and some are rated up to 40 amps! snd they are rugged. Not too bad on price either, under $5 for most versions.

SEE THEM HERE...
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/se ... N=59353170

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks, guys.
I was leaning more about these as I have several in my pile of goodies:
http://www.datapro.net/products/wall-pl ... emale.html
Would they work limited to 5-6A? Pros and cons?
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Externet wrote:I was leaning more about these as I have several in my pile of goodies:
http://www.datapro.net/products/wall-pl ... emale.html Would they work limited to 5-6A? Pros and cons?
Miguel
I was going to recommend using a standard type of plug/jack already used for 12V. Anton Bauer is a company that supplies 12V batteries for portable broadcast TV cameras. They do use XLR connectors, but they are XLR4 (4 pin), I believe, for portable camera power and lighting. (It's been a while since I worked for a TV station.) The cameras made by various manufacturers like Sony have male XLR male counterparts installed on the rear of the cameras. So, I think those XLR wall plates will be fine, just use XLRs with one more pin.

[EDIT] I checked Anton Bauer's web site. XLR 4 pin, Pin 1 (-), Pin 4 (+), 14.4V

Use cable that is at least approved for class 2 wiring inside your walls. I'd check the electrical code for class 2. You don't want to invalidate your house insurance. Use wire approved for your planned ampacity.

I would not recommend speaker connectors. When I was in high school a buddy of mine used standard AC lamp plugs for his speakers. (Hey, you gotta use what you have on a farm.) You know what happened. Speaker smoke. :shock:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

I have had good luck with Anderson power pole connectors.
Here is a websit:http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/

A lot of Hams use them for there 12V radio's and power. The small ones have eiither 15A or 30A contacts. I have mounted them in normal electrical outlet blank plates, as well as on many chassis or bud miniboxes.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

heres an idea, why not use IEC outlets / plugs.
the could use the female ones for outlets and males for the plugs.
i see lots of them in surplus sites, and they claim to handle at least 10 amps.

or maybe XLR connectors.. XLR has many configurations too.. you can make your cords and outlets easily.

ok, good luck.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

This thread has been rolling around in the back of my head for a few weeks.

I think I would just get some blank outlet covers, drill 2 holes 3/4ths of an inch apart and use a couple banana jacks (recessed). This way you can stack connections to it or use those 2 prong pomona banana cables or even put in binding posts (at slightly higher cost). This is low cost, easy to find and dosen't leave unsightly pigtails hanging out of the walls. A DC circuit breaker or Fuse connector can easily be integrated into the face plate as well.

Although the same concept, I would stay away from uninsulated binding post connectors commonly used for speakers, primarily because it would be too easy to accidently short the posts.

A collection of various sized barrel connectors and a few DC-DC bricks should complete the kit. A variable DC supply without the transformer or input rectifier would be a good accessory to have around as well.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Another idea, reasonably cheap and reliable, would be to use male and female trailer connectors from
the local auto parts store. You can even get the "wall-socket" male side with it's own spring-loaded
cap (for safety and aesthetics when not in use), the turn signal pins can carry supplemental power,
and they are certainly good for 10 amps or more. I'm not sure, though, that two will fit on a standard
wall plate.