Outlook Express / PDF's

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Lenp

Outlook Express / PDF's

Post by Lenp »

I have an odd problem with Outlook Express and PDF files.
Most times OE will open a PDF attachemnt with no problem. Occasionally A PDF's will lock up OE. Of I close OE then restart it,
it it will open the same file. It is erratic and seems not to be related to particular files or senders.

I am using XP sp2, OE-6 and Adobe reader XI. This seems to have started after the upgrade (downgrade?) to AdobeXI

Anybody else have this bug, or better yet, a fix?

Thanks,

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
cae2100

Re: Outlook Express / PDF's

Post by cae2100 »

only thing I can think of is to try another pdf reader, and if that doesnt fix it, just change to a better email client program. I use foxit pdf reader and mozilla thunderbird, and Ive never had any issues with either of them.

Looking back at most of the posts on here and the issues with them, 99% of the problems is caused by outlook express, so I would honestly try another email client tbh. It's just not a good piece of software, even microsoft has abandoned it in the later windows versions.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Thanks,
I just hoped there might be an easy fix. The thing that baffles me is that it will work after it locks up if i restart it. It's like there is a file corruption someplace in either Adobe or OEX? I don't know. I don't need to reboot, just use the Task Manager to shut down OEX then reopen it and it works fine. Maybe I need bug spray :idea:

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"This seems to have started after the upgrade (downgrade?) to Adobe XI"

I get a lot of alerts from Adobe for upgrades and every time I down load them, the program seems to perform worse. I never see any improvement in it at least for the way I use it. Maybe delete the version you have and down load a previous version. It has worked for me on several occasions. Good luck!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

When MS stopped supporting XP and OE, presumably so did Adobe. They want you to use Live mail now, although that has some additional features, it is enough different that you may want to live with the OE quirks. Try reporting the bug to Adobe, maybe I'm wrong and they do care.