.dll Problem

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
solardude

.dll Problem

Post by solardude »

Hello All,
I'm working on a laptop to clean it up and I was almost done when I uninstalled unwanted programs and needed to restart. When doing so this time I ended up getting a RunDLL window with this reading,

"There was a problem starting C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll. The specified module could not be found."

Not really sure how to correct this so I'm asking for your help in resolving this issue. It is an Acer laptop with Windows 7.

Thanks guys
cae2100

Re: .dll Problem

Post by cae2100 »

quick google search

http://superuser.com/questions/661971/h ... on-startup

4 down vote

This was a malware. It was removed by your AntiVirus Scanner, but the registry entries are still present to start the malware at startup.

Start regedit.exe and search (F3 or CTRL+F) for BackgroundContainer.dll and delete all entries you find.

To be safe, make a full scan with an AntiVirus Scanner like Microsoft Security Essentials/ Defender and also scan your PC with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

If you can find nothing in the registry, download and run Autoruns from sysinterals and look here for an entry " BackgroundContainer". Look under logon and scheduled task first. When found, left click on the entry to highlight it. Then right click on your mouse and select delete from the menu that comes up for that entry. Right click on delete to delete that entry. Be careful to only delete the entry/entries you want to permanently delete.
solardude

Re: .dll Problem

Post by solardude »

Cae2100,
Thank you for your knowledge with .dll programs. With your help I was able to get rid of that RunDLL pop up window. The registry seems to be booting up fine now and the problem is gone.

Thank you