Printer Alignment Problems

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
fine-tune

Printer Alignment Problems

Post by fine-tune »

Several years ago my business partners and I took that big "off-ramp" and abandoned
Windows. Linux distros saved us a small fortune. Sometimes I think our business
would have gone under in 2008 when the economy went bust, if we had continued
using Windows.

In my home office I've got a highly customized version of 98SE. This system has
dozens of automated DOS dependent scripts. They are too useful to junk. Canon
Pixma MP450 is the AIO (all-in-one) having alignment problems. I would probably
junk this AIO, if newer models worked with 98SE. I would rather fix this unit, than
buy a used AIO.

The print head alignment procedure is similar to many other models. Each pattern
block with the least visible striping is selected.

The misalignment appears to be random. A few lines look good, followed by several where
the fonts are fractured, slanted, too big or small, etc. The sheets always come out clean.

I downloaded a pdf that's called a "service manual" but it's just a few pages of troubleshooting
charts. There are other sites selling manuals. They're probably selling this pdf I got for
nothing from Canon.

I've been building and repairing small and large machines since I was a kid. Low to medium
priced printers are usually junked, not repaired. Someone mentioned that the "transport
rails" might be loose. I need help fixing this AIO. Any decent downloadable documents
or expert advice would be appreciated.
Janitor Tzap

Re: Printer Alignment Problems

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Have you tried reseting the printer, then reseting the adjustments?

Here's the manual reset procedure for Printer Canon Pixma MP450 :

How to Reset Printer Canon Pixma MP450

1) Turn off the Printer.

2) Hold button Resume/Cancel (red triangle in the circle), click on POWER – an indicator light green.
3) Release the button Resume / Cancel keeping POWER.

4) Click Resume/Cancel 2 times, keeping POWER, and then release all the buttons.

5) When the indicator recorded GREEN – click Resume / Cancel 4 times!

6) Turn off the Canon Pixma MP450 Printers POWER button.

The Site selling the "Parts Catalog" / "Service Manual" / "Product Service Details" / "Specification Sheet", Looks to be legitimate.
http://www.nodevice.com/manual/Canon/page16.html

This site has the "Parts Catalog" PDF.
http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/impres ... 0450pc.pdf

You may just half too look at finding another Used; All In One.
I'm not finding much in parts for the older model Canon printers.

It would be nice to find the same Model you currently have,
that is in working condition, and keep the other for parts. :wink:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
fine-tune

Post by fine-tune »

OK Janitor Tzap.

I should have checked on the availability of parts, before posting about this AIO.

If you mention a malfunctioning printer to almost anyone, they'll tell you buy a new
model. The exception are expensive laser office printers, that are usually serviced
by a contractor.

Reseting the printer might work, if the problem is not mechanical. I'm not sure why
two or three paragraphs appear normal, followed by several lines or paragraphs that
look awful.

I'll try the reseting procedure. I really don't use old scripting languages like DOS
anymore. I learned DOS in the very early days of computing. I should have recreated
all those scripts in a modern language years ago. It would probably take months,
but this printer failure is a not so subtle warning that it's time to say goodbye to
DOS.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am guessing it may be a mechanical problem such as slop in the bushings that the print head slides along.
the bronze bushings that slide along a chromed rod for example, i am not sure how yours is constructed, but i am sure you get the idea of what i am talking about. because usually the belts that slide the heads back are usually under tension with spring loaded pulleys etc. your unit may be worn out mechanically, not electronically.
another idea is to make sure the optics ( sensors ) that read the stripped bar
( looks like a plastic strip with microfine lines on it ) it might be dirty or there could be dust in the sensor. or the plastic strip may be damaged.

good luck..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Another thing to go along with dac's suggestions is to clean the whole carriage mechanism.
There was an old plotter at my old job that, after many years of use, would need to be
cleaned around once a week, depending on volume of use. It had similar problems where the
plot would just come out crappy. A cleaning of the slide rod would restore accuracy. Of course,
this was a signal that the print head slide bushing probably needed to be replaced.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I think this has the kind of print cartridges that have the ink, print head and electrical contacts all in one piece. i.e. not the type with seperate ink wells and perminant heads.

Have you tried new cartriges? Do you refil the ones you are using now? Could be air bubbles, contaminated ink or bad electrical contact to the printer or the print head has become intermittant for some unknown reason. It sounds like you have enough troubleshooting experience to have tried this already but I thought I would mention it anyway