gATEWAY p/n 5000376 terminator card, what is it?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Rodney

gATEWAY p/n 5000376 terminator card, what is it?

Post by Rodney »

I was given an older Gateway computer which has two of the P/N 5000376 cards in two of the memory slots. They appear to be just blank cards. What is their purpose? Is it necessary to have them in the slots (they are in two of the slots with regular memory modules in the first two slots)? The computer boots up and says that it has 254460 bits of memory.
Janitor Tzap

Re: gATEWAY p/n 5000376 terminator card, what is it?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Your going to need the manual for this.
Here's Gateway's support page: http://support.gateway.com/product/?cmpid=topnav

I've seen strange memory configuration's.
But that sounds pretty strange! :lol:

Yeah,
Your definitely going to need the manual to figure out what sort of memory module sticks this computer takes,
and what is the maximum amount it will recognize.
Plus, what is the plug in sequence for the memory modules.

I would also check and see if the BIO's has an upgrade for it,
and see what the maximum CPU you can install is.

That is......
If your going to use it, or give it to some else to use.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
cae2100

Re: gATEWAY p/n 5000376 terminator card, what is it?

Post by cae2100 »

the PC you have has rambus memory in it, but the thing with rambus memory, it has to be put into pairs, hence two memory sticks, and two blank ones. If there isnt any memory to put into the extra slots, there's what looks like a blank memory stick, which just more or less connects everything together, those cards are called CRIMM modules. Rambus memory was kinda a short lived memory when intel tried making the first pentium 4 systems due to the fact that the standard memory only ran at 100-133Mhz at the time, which severely limited what the processor could deal with, but was eventually replaced by DDR/DDR2/DDR3 memory series that you find in most systems now.

That's all that those cards are for, they just act as jumpers through the memory slots for the rambus memory. I have a few rambus systems, and I put those up to newer systems, and they still hold thier own.