Netgear N900 price fixing

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Netgear N900 price fixing

Post by frhrwa »

I'm not positive, but I always understood it to be ILLEGAL to price fix items in the good 'ol USA? Looking at gas and diesel, its obvious it doesn't work, but.... the NETGEAR N900 ROUTER, its $179.99 in every store and online that I looked at? what gives with this, kind of like BOSE, you sell for this price or you don't get the product in your store?
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Janitor Tzap

Re: Netgear N900 price fixing

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:I'm not positive, but I always understood it to be ILLEGAL to price fix items in the good 'ol USA? Looking at gas and diesel, its obvious it doesn't work, but.... the NETGEAR N900 ROUTER, its $179.99 in every store and online that I looked at? what gives with this, kind of like BOSE, you sell for this price or you don't get the product in your store?
Apple is the same way. :roll:
Also, this router is fairly new on the market.
Thus, you will find it hard, to find it any cheaper than that. :sad:

Does it really have to be this brand of router?
There are dozens of other makes out there.

I would go hunt around the Wild Wooly Web for something that would match it.
Or just be patient.
Wait a little while, and see if the price doesn't come down.

I don't like being the person who's on the bleeding edge of technology.
Always getting the so called latest and greats gadgets, or software.
Then finding out about its problems, and short comings.

I normally am a mid-to-late adopter when it comes to the software, or gadgets.
Let someone else be the guinea pig.
Wait for all, or most the bugs to be worked before getting it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I agree with you, just tired of this price fixing game corporations pull off.. they get away with it knowing full well its illegal ..
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

frhrwa wrote:I agree with you, just tired of this price fixing game corporations pull off.. they get away with it knowing full well its illegal ..
Having once worked in retailing, i can say in most case it doesn't quite work like that it is more subtle - this is a generla comment not specific to the Netgear router.

1. Sometimes the retailer acts as an agent for a supplier, where this happens there will be very little if any difference in retail prices (not including GST, VAT or Sales Taxes). One supplier that springs to mind is Miele .

2. When a new product comes out the supplier knows the approximate mark ups/margins used by whichever type of retailer they are selling in to. They will set their buy price at a level which will trigger a certain narrow price range, they also may not offer any retrospective discounts, partly because they have no real data as to actual item throughput and partly because many people will buy a new whatever so price incentives aren't required.

3. The retailer might decide to hold onto any quantity discounts they are offered and where they might have agreed retrospective discount in advance and breakage/non functioning product allowances the retailer might not want to 'risk' possible sales flop versus cost of holding non moving stock.

4. Pack mentality, like stores tend to try and price in the same region, especially on unknown quantities.
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

understood, but like in the case of BOSE, YOU sell for THEIR price, or you are not able to get their equipment.. at any rate, another question, anyone know someone that does repair on Fluke True RMS Multimeters? mine has a flaky display, dull and intermittent full character..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:understood, but like in the case of BOSE, YOU sell for THEIR price, or you are not able to get their equipment.. at any rate, another question, anyone know someone that does repair on Fluke True RMS Multimeters? mine has a flaky display, dull and intermittent full character..
frhrwa,
I and dyarker posted an answer over in the General forum.
Unless you are having an issue with the link to the FLUKE website.
Here is the Phone and E-mail address.

1-888-99-FLUKE (1-888-993-5853)
Email: [email protected]

Did you try replacing the battery first by chance?

frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

yep.. first thing I did, tried two new batteries.. wrote FLUKE and they told me my FLUKE wasn't supported any longer, but if I'd like to buy a new meter, .......
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Bummer. :sad:
I'll give you more information in the General Forum.