E-Mail Problems

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Robert Reed

E-Mail Problems

Post by Robert Reed »

Well, the ~@#**^ computer is at it again! After returning from three weeks out of town, I was checking my E-Mail and problems were occurring. When there was a thread connected (web address)to it clicking on it would bring up a dialog box that reads "an error has occurred in the ShockWave Flash plugin and E-Mail must shut down". Then I have to restart it again to retrieve the rest of my E-Mail. This happens 80% of the time when I am directed to the internet. The only thing I did was to install A Java update before this problem started and do not know if thats related. What is a shockwave - a useful addition or a virus?. A search of computer files, programs turns up nothing!
Externet

Re: E-Mail Problems

Post by Externet »

Hi Robert.
Same thing happened to my compfuser a couple of weeks ago. After updating one of those (cannot remember the name) my email stopped the capability of attaching files.
Complained to my email provider tech support and meanwhile had to open another address somewhere else to be able to function. A week later, returned to 'normal'
My guess is some mail programs want the latest version of whatever, some others don't work with the latest version of whatever.

Seems like incompatible crapwares. Your compfuser hardware may be fine.
Try uninstalling the last upgrade. Should not be a virus; I do not get them with Linux and the symtoms were alike. Shockwave may be just a marketing name.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

While I have not used a standalone e-mail client in years (everything is online), I can tell
you that Shockwave is an Adobe product that is used to play Shockwave files (.SWF). All
I can think of is that somehow that extension became linked to the e-mail application that
opens web links. Yes, Internet Explorer and Firefox, et al, are used to play them as a default
so perhaps most of the links are rife with Shockwave files, hence the problem. I can believe
that as actual pages only coded in HTML are few and far between.

Shockwave itself is not malware or a virus. To see what it is, go to their site.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hi Robert.

I've not seen that problem, I'm using FireFox 6.0.2.
But I did get a note from Mozilla stating that I should update my Flash Player Plug-in.
Since they where having complaints about some pages not functioning, or not working correctly when people went and updated to the latest browser version.

So, I would try updating your Flash Player Plug-in first, and see if that solves it.
If not, then like what Externet did.
Shoot off an E-mail too your E-mail provider's tech support.

Good luck with it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Caesar
Went to that site and tried to determine of what use ShockWave was. Seemed like it was only enhancement for games and such. I use my computer for day in/day out business and do not do much in the way of media on it. Tried to reinstall some of their programs, but to no avail. Out of frustration I deleted ShockWave from my control panel. Back to opening up E-Mail and guess what - I still get a dialog box saying that Shockwave had an illegal operation even tho I deleted it. WWHHAAT?
Externet

Post by Externet »

Robert... did you delete or uninstall ?

Uninstalling would be the action; depending on your operative system could be here, there or somewhere else...
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Well after much aggravation, the problem is cured. After cruising around, I noticed an option in the PREFERENCE file that allowed me to disable JAVA. This triggered something in my memory that about a month ago, I installed the latest version of Java and it seemed that shortly after that the E-Mail linking started crashing. Anyhow I disabled the JAVA program and everything is fine now. Most of these media enhancement things are a complete mystery to me as of their usefulness. Thus far I see no disadvantage to NOT having JAVA enabled so I don't even know what its purpose is! All I know is that I am a Happy camper again. :grin:
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Well,
It sounds like a compatibility problem with the latest JAVA version, and your E-Mail service.

What browser are you currently using?
I'm using Firefox Version 7.0 now.
It does have an option to disable JAVA scripts.
But I'm also using NoScript, that can shut off JAVA scripts from running only on certain Websites.
Which is helpful, because there are still some sites that use JAVA for doing searches.
So,
If I know a Website has problems with JAVA scripts, I can disable it for that Website only.

For now.....
Go out too the Websites you frequent the most.
See if you get an error message asking for you to enable JAVA to view the site.

If you don't, then great.
No worries.
If you do, then consider getting NoScript to control what scripts you want to run on the sites you go to.

Good Luck!

Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I will tell you only if you don't laugh at me. It is Netscape V7.2. Straight forward, nice layout, very business like and quick to use. So far no problems on other websites. But I will keep your suggestion in mind if problems crop up down the road.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Robert Reed wrote:I will tell you only if you don't laugh at me. It is Netscape V7.2.
Seriously!? :shock:

I didn't think anyone was still using the Netscape Browser. :shock:

Have you considered using Mozilla's Firefox?
It was built upon Mozilla's Netscape Browser.
So,
You should be comfortable with it's interface.

Also,
There are new HTTP standards that are now going to be put into effect,
that your old browser probably won't be able to handle. :sad:

Here's the Mozilla Firefox site.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/central/

Have a look.

frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

worse comes to worse, do a system restore to a point just before that upgrade (shockware) that you did.. see what happens
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!