Wireless router...

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Wireless router...

Post by Externet »

Found among my spiderwebs a Dell 1184 router, model WX-6215D that someone gave me.
Has its antenna, internet port and 4 LAN ports

I believe the intended use is by connecting the DSL line > modem > internet port to transceive WLAN nearby, and can also be connected wired to PCs via the LAN jacks.

If the unit is placed exposed to an existing WLAN; would the LAN ports be functional to connect PCs there ?
And the other way; if a PC LAN is wired to it, would it create a WLAN room/building ?
(Nothing connected to the internet port in both cases)

Would it work in non-Dell equipment ? Do I need firmware/drivers? Any surprises coming like previous owner password, unlocking, configuration, whatever ? How is the set-up ?
Sorry for the ton of ¿? but never played with those toys.

There is a label : Do not connect the LAN connectors to a network with an existing DHCP server; it will cause the network to malfunction. Now what is DHCP ?
One more... :???: I use Linux...will it work ?

Manual : http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/n ... /index.htm

Miguel, the flag bearer of compfuser idiots.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Re: Wireless router...

Post by frhrwa »

Short for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, a protocol for assigning dynamic IP addresses to devices on a network. With dynamic addressing, a device can have a different IP address every time it connects to the network. In some systems, the device's IP address can even change while it is still connected. DHCP also supports a mix of static and dynamic IP addresses.

Dynamic addressing simplifies network administration because the software keeps track of IP addresses rather than requiring an administrator to manage the task. This means that a new computer can be added to a network without the hassle of manually assigning it a unique IP address. Many ISPs use dynamic IP addressing for dial-up users.
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!