Using CAT5 cable for USB gadget ?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Using CAT5 cable for USB gadget ?

Post by Externet »

Hello fellows...
A wireless ethernet transceiver (WiFi) gadget that plugs into the USB port has a limitation of cable lenght; I believe it is the cable itself posing the limitation. Is that right ?
Can I replace its USB cable with CAT5 cable and terminate it for the laptop end with a USB plug ?

Or, feeding +5V power via the cat 5 PoE ethernet connector for the USB gadget to be energized would not be much problem, would it ?

What I want is a 50 feet CAT 5 cable to connect a compfuser USB port to a USB WiFi antenna gadget on the roof. Can it be done ?

Miguel, the flag bearer of compfuser idiots. :smile:
dyarker

Re: Using CAT5 cable for USB gadget ?

Post by dyarker »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_cable# ... ble_Length

Cat-5 may be better than what is usually used for USB, the problem is the time the bits take to travel the extra distance.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i think i asked a similar question earlier in this forum. should be just a few tags down..
look at "wireless router question" that info there might help you more.. but i know you cannot make a long USB cable. even with a power source at the unit.. i already tried it, and it would not work.
i tried to make a 40 foot USB extension. ;)
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I remember reading hardcopy recently concerning USB extenders. I can't remember where I read it though. A quick search
online gave results such as this: Sewell Direct
There is a wide range of prices on this page. I'm curious what the different innards look like. The cheapest options appear
to be simple passive connector cables.
But they're not.
Don't know what your data transfer needs are, but Sewell item #SW-29500 looks good to me:
33 ft extension cable with a built-in active repeater for USB 2.0 signals. Maximum transfer rate of 480 mbps. $22.95
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks.

What is your opinion to use this :

----> http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUSO36NH-Wi ... B0035APGP6

Plus this :

----> http://www.amazon.com/over-Cat5-Extensi ... B002WJ9S6Y

Thanks.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Again, I don't know what your transfer needs are, so my opinion is greatly generalized. That said, with the wireless repeater I
would take a close look at its capabilities and customer reviews. My brief look suggested that at your distance you might only
get a slow USB1 connection. I'm no Luddite; I just think that wireless has its place and is somewhat overused by contemporary
product designers. YMMV. If you really want to go wireless then all the specs need to be on the table. A weather station is
less needy than a video camera. Is it wi-fi internet access that you're after here?
The CAT5 w/ dongles product seems almost too good to be true. A generic 150' extender for <$10? Again I'd research the
customer reviews and include the cost of the CAT5 cable when comparison shopping with items such as the ones on the
page I linked. My brief look at these reviews suggested that application was everything - it was all love or hate.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks, fellows.

Bought the items to run a 2 Watt USB wifi antenna, the dongles and the cat5 cable. Will let know results. Am not after super speeds.

Miguel
Externet

Post by Externet »

Well, after some delays (Springtime windstorms tossed the weighed 12 feet diameter antenna as if was a frisbee and had to find another one)

Total, an old C band satellite dish with a 2 Watt USB wifi antenna dongle placed at its focus plus a USB to CAT6 adapter; a lenght of CAT6 running into the house and another CAT6 to USB adapter plugged to my compfuser. Got remote internet ~ Yes, the hard way.
It is perhaps 50~100 mile capable wifi !

Am happy :grin: Works ! This is posted trough the contraption. Perhaps I should share some pictures soon...

Miguel
The flag bearer of compfuser idiots
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

In reading the replys to this post and others of similar subject, I have a question for all. That being the cable designators such as cat5,etc. Not real knowledgeable on this subject, but I always assumed the catx numbers referred to the cables voltage breakdown strength and the ability to hold together for increasing levels of transients. On the flip side, I thought usb ports,etc. had a cable length limit due to data speed and increasing losses. Do cat numbers really apply here? Could someone clear this up for me as I am not well versed on the subject.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Robert.
Different CATegories of twisted pair non-insulated 100 ohm impedance cables obbey mostly to the data transfer speed capability, and to the maximum recommended lenghts.
As far as I know, manufacturing improvements cause the CAT #

The USB wiring is limited to 5 metres,

USB-----USB

What I did is insert adapters to use CAT cable to increase lenght and overcome the limitation :

(WLAN Antenna)<-USB-----CAT---------------------------------------------------CAT----USB->(PC)

And the contraption :
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss32 ... FuWave.jpg

Miguel

[Posted via airborne internet]