info please re computer backup memory

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Bear

info please re computer backup memory

Post by Bear »

Good morning!! I want to backup my computer to something like a smart card(?). My new computer evidently will accept all smart cards. It has 4 slots on the front. I do not know if I am using the right terminology when I call them "smart cards". again the computer is supposed to be able to utilize all memory devices short of the the clay tablets that the 10 commandments were written on. I do not care for the usb mem sticks as they are too fragile. I just want something so that when the "BIG ONE" comes to the Bay Area here in sunny CA, i can just pop it out and head for all points east to avoid the tsunami. Any thoughts, recommendations or caveats would be most appreciated.

TIA

Dennis (Bear)
kheston

Re: info please re computer backup memory

Post by kheston »

Bear,

If I'm not mistaken, a "Smart Card" is actually an authentication mechanism rather than a storage device. However, if you are looking at the slots that look about the size of a stick of gum, I think I know what you mean. Those are flash memory slots, they come in different flavors.

USB sticks and other forms of flash memory are coming in larger and larger sizes. The biggest one I have is 16GB. As the capacity of the SD card or USB stick gets larger, the price goes up accordingly. Last time I looked, something on the order of 64GB was barely affordable. Depending on how much data you need to back up, flash memory may be fine. However, an external HD will get you a lot more capacity for a lot less money. The data will probably be more stable, too.

Anyway, being an East Bay resident myself, I'll be joining you on the high ground when the Hayward Fault finally lets go. We can both sit and think about how great it will be to have our data with us once our computer-equipped FEMA trailers arrive...
Kurt - SF Bay
sofaspud

Re: info please re computer backup memory

Post by sofaspud »

I concur. Get a 500Gb external USB hard drive for less than a c-note. It'll fit in a pocket.
I went that route and it's worked without any hassles. I'm eyeballing those 1Tb drives now...
I use the SD cards and memory sticks for everyday non-critical backups and such.