Cell phone connection to compfuser ?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Cell phone connection to compfuser ?

Post by Externet »

Hi all.
Is there any model or way a cell phone with internet service can be interfaced to a PC to ease handling (full keyboard, full screen, saving, downloading) browsing on a place with no landlines nor other web service for the PC ?
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
ltx71cm

Re: Cell phone connection to compfuser ?

Post by ltx71cm »

Yes, there are plenty of phones that provide that capability. It's called tethering. Most cell providers charge dearly for it. There are ways to tether a phone using its normal data plan with no extra fee but it often requires the phone to be jailbroken, rooted, hacked, etc. It's dead simple with iPhones and most Android devices, hack or jailbreak then you can purchase MyWi for a one time fee to use your already purchased data plan. It works well. You can also use PDANet (has a free version) or a few others. If you don't really need the phone but want cellular data service you can buy a 3g (or similar) modem or the fairly popular MiFi which acts as a cell based Wifi router.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

One of my biggest beefs with Verizon and why my phone is 4+ years old.

About 3 or so years ago, Verizon stopped selling plans that allowed for connection to their lower speed networks for free and started selling phones and plans that could only be used with the high speed network for $/MB charge. Its not a high charge for text only emails and the occasional bland web page but you can pay a lot for video, photos or a richly graphic web page.

I keep my old phone to stay on the old plan mostly as a protest because the connection that way always was crappy anyway. Verizon has eradicated the software you need. It is not available anywhere on the web that I know of.

In any case, most phones have a phone to USB cable which in addition to making your phone into a modem will allow you to connect to appointment books, calendar programs and address books. This generally allows for backup of your contact list or uploading your to do list etc. These software usually cost extra. I expect Smart phones with full price plans to have these things included but now were talking $100 per month yuck.

MetroPCS may not have the fastest network but their smart phone plans are the cheapest I am aware of. Worth checking out of you are phone/carrier shopping.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Externet wrote:Hi all.
Is there any model or way a cell phone with internet service can be interfaced to a PC to ease handling (full keyboard, full screen, saving, downloading) browsing on a place with no landlines nor other web service for the PC ?
Miguel
When I travel I just use a 3G card in my laptop which eliminates the need for connecting the laptop (or any computer) through my cell phone. I do this when I don't have a wired or wireless connection available to me, places like rest areas etc. If I have a cell phone signal, I have Internet. Additionally the few times I have lost my cable Internet service I just let all the computers on the home network connect through the laptop using the 3G card.

Ron