HP and the trash can

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

HP and the trash can

Post by frhrwa »

well, finally got rid of the last piece of HP trash today.. had a printer, all in one, really fancy, but HP.. and I HATE HP .... so, it screwed up its last time, I put the big fist down on the top of it, crushing the glass and caving in the center section.. through it in the big trash can outside.. now I can sleep peacefully knowing there is NO MORE HP in my house.. and NEVER will be again.. ahh.. I feel better now..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Robert Reed

Re: HP and the trash can

Post by Robert Reed »

"I put the big fist down on the top of it, crushing the glass and caving in the center section"
I have always found it to be odd that we get such a great feeling of satisfaction from smashing the daylights out of a piece of disgusting crap - odd? yes, but we enjoy every second of it :smile: .
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I know, and I agree, but in the case of HP... 5 years to wait for results on my laptop was totally uncalled for.. so, to them I feel much better doing the crush and stopping anyone else from purchasing from them.. I'll take the KODAK any day of the week for my printer.. and some people don't like DELL, but never had a minutes problem that wasn't solved right away.. I think people should not let corporations get away with this NON-CUSTOMER SERVICE attitude.. They just don't care anymore about you or me, just the almighty $$$
WardXmodem

Post by WardXmodem »

I, too, had an HP All-in-one, and was relatively pleased with it, wireless and all, but since I print so little, I was getting 1/4 or so of a cartridge then had to be replaced! I believe the #'s were something like 47g cartridge, with 18g of ink, and it would get down to 44g and be "dried out".

A friend's Epson hadn't been used in 9 months, and after 3 clean cycles it was perfect again, so I bought an epson all-in-one and am very happy with it and don't expect to have to throw away "perfectly good" (well, designed not to last long) HP cartridges.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

another HP corporate "screw" for the consumer came about with refilling cartridges.. now HP puts a chip in the cartridge that will not allow usage after it gets to the replace me category.. so you can't refill and use the cartridge again.. so, all of you hackers out there, figure that one out and put HP back to work again figuring out how to get that $$$ from us again..
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I have an older HP printer, model 712 I think. I had the B/W & color cartridge refilled at Office Max for $10 & $20 respectively. The color refill did not work right,but they said they had not any complaints so far. The B/W cartridge worked fine. They did return my money on the defunct color cartridge. I normally spend $35 dollars on a B/W cartridge, so it was a real bargain. Anybody else have experience with Office Max refills?
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

For what it's worth, the practice of putting a chip inside an ink or toner cartridge is detailed on WIKIPEDIA here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_pri ... ness_model

The gist is that the chip stops people from refilling the cartridges. Some people, annoyed with this practice, have done away with the cartridges and equipped their printers with after-market "Continuous Ink" systems detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system

A friend of mine has one of these retrofit kits on his Epson printer (not sure what model). He does large format (like 11x17) photo quality poster prints with it. It works very well for him. :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i got curious the other night when my HP black ink ran out. #45 it has the low ink indicator on the front of it, so i wanted to see what makes it tick, i took it apart, and noticed that there was still enough in the pouch to do about another 50 sheets of text, i know how to clean clogged heads.
usually soak in warm water for a few min. and it works ok again.
but i am suspecting something wouldn't let the ink print any more. Grrrr.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

thanks Vern.. great info to keep on hand.. will definitely pass that around.. but, I'm still keeping my Kodak.. ha ha..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The chips don't always prevent use after refilling but it generally always screws up the ink counter that tells you its timne to. At least on one Cannon I have refilled several times, the side effect is just that the refil ink LED is always lit.

The problem is whith that, you have to wait until you actually have the ink run out which can spoil an otherwise good sheet but it can also burn out the ink jets in the head. This is critical in printers where you just buy ink tanks and the head is more or less perminant, a head failure on these is fatal for the whole printer but with HP and other brnads, the head is part of the cartridge. That makes the ink refils more expensive but it also preserves the printer if a head does clog or fail.

In most cases, I have found that underuse is the biggest killer. If you don't print weekly, the heads can dry out and clog and rinsing dosen't always bring them back.

I reiterate, an excellent project would be to discover how to reset these eproms. Determining which contacts go to them would be the first step
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Though you may not agree, I have a HP 3900 series printer that I will use until it completely dies.
It is the easiest to refill and I get 4-5 refills of the HP21 cartridge before it needs real cleaning or
replacement. Yeah, it always says it is empty, but for the everyday printing it is used for, no big deal.
The all in one HP printer/scanner/fax/copier won't accept a refill like the 3900. It just refuses to work
until a new cartridge is inserted. At $45 a pop, it's a hard bit of ink to swallow for home use. Besides,
the refill kit I use (at Staples) with the 3 black ink bottles runs ~$18, and I get about 8-10 refills.
That means that for $36 - $54 (plus paper cost) I can print a full box of paper. Who would give that up?
We also use both sides of the papers before recycling or shredding them. That's a lot of printing. Not
as good as a Laser, but still a lot better than retail.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I read you can reset the counter if you have 3 cartridges available.

1.) With the printer turned off, insert the cartridge you are going to use (the refill) in the printer, turn
the printer on and let it go through the ID process so it says it is empty (or whatever it says to that
effect). Turn off the printer and remove the cartridge.
2.) Insert cartridge #2 in the printer, turn on the printer and do as above.
3.) Insert cartridge #3 and do as above. After this step, replace cartridge #3 with cartridge #1. It
should greet you with a reset counter/new cartridge screen.

I have not tried this yet, so cannot vouch for it. Also, this only works for some printers (apparently).
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

On a side note to my above post, the HP3930 printed over 2000 pages for
my son's senior project (double sided pamphlets for his presentation) and it
did it using approximately 2 of those refill bottles. So $12 for ink and 2 reams
of paper (double sided prints) - approx. $6 total - for all those prints. Around
$18 and a fairly large chunck of time - the better part of a day - sure beats
what Staples wanted for all those copies, almost $300!

I guess it's a love/hate relationship, you either love HP or hate HP. I tend
to take all technology with a grain of sand (no, that's not a silicon joke, but
it could be...) and look for the best of what I can find.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

its not even a love hate relationship with HP for me, its the idea that it took them 5 years to honor THEIR warranty on that $1300 HP Laptop.. it died in 2 weeks, they would not fix or replace it until I took all of the emails and nasty grams to their legal department and the board of directors... then they replaced it, with a new laptop, but 5 years old.. nice folks .. so, I'll never buy HP again.. and I'll talk anyone I can into buying something else..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I don't blame you for your distrust of HP on that one. I'd be seriously disgusted
(actually much worse) if they did that to me too. But, I have had fairly decent
luck with HP (other than a bad power supply after 6+ years). Every company has
it's good and bad parts. Customer service and satisfaction is not a place for the
bad to come out.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I think CUSTOMER SERVICE went down the toilet when they started outsourcing our technical support.. these large corporations do not care about the people they sell to, they figure there are hundreds of thousands of other people to get rich off, so why bother with 1 person.. little do they know, I can swing a LOT of sales other directions.. just talked my cousin into NOT buying an HP Laptop.. she spent good money and wa-la, bought another brand.. I have turned 100's away from HP printers, sent them to Kodak printers.. and I'll continue just because they screwed me on that laptop!.. IF they had sent a new one out after 5 years, one that was up to date, one that was comp to the one I originally purchased, by comp I mean I paid $1300 for it, so give me something that costs that much today.. but no, got a new 5 year old laptop, which by the way, worked for about a month, won't turn on.. push the power and nothing,, goes to show you I guess.. so, its in the closet where it will remain until someone a hundres or so years from now finds it covered in dust!.. one of my goals is to turn as many away from HP as I can.. doesn't replace the piece of crap I bought, but it makes me happy to see someone else NOT buy their product..