computer to computer USB connection

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

computer to computer USB connection

Post by dacflyer »

i have my old win98 puter, and a laptop with xp on it..
can i connect the 2 via USB so i can transfer files from the 98 to the xp ??

if so how do i go about it.. thanks..
dyarker

Re: computer to computer USB connection

Post by dyarker »

If you mean like USB cross over cable, no.

PC are USB hosts. There may be an adaptor out there that acts like a USB client on both ends, but have never seen one.

Two USB ethernet adaptors with CAT-5 crossover cable between them, and drive sharing in Windows would give fast file transfers. If both computers have LAN ports, forget USB and just use ethernet.

Two USB serial adaptors with RS-232 crossover cable would also work, though slower than ethernet. (Hyperterminal and manually setup file transfers.)

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, thanks..
i'll probably just do it the old way i been doing it then.. just transfer it onto a portable HD, then put it on the other computer...
thanx anyway..
psycho

Post by psycho »

I would swear I saw one of these a couple years ago. I was right... See:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Co ... oduct.html

I used the google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+link ... =firefox-a

There are more links/info in the search than the overstock one but I didn't look too far into it.

Hope it helps.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hey, cool deal..a bit more than i wanna spend, but i might go for it,, thanx ;)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

RS-232 serial and LPT Parallel are supported by both OS in the New Connection Wizard (XP) I forget what they called it in 98. Find this in the accessories/communications group under the start menu. Not as fast as USB for sure

If you have firewire or ethernet on both, they you can form a peer to peer network. use the network connection wizard to set that up. Even easier if you have a hub.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Yes. I do have one dedicated PC to PC USB to USB cable I bought years ago to transfer files from my PC to a laptop, and worked very well.
Have no use for it now; if you want it ? ---> externet at inorbit period com :smile:
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

DELL has one.. I see it as add on software/hardware when you purchase computers.. looks like a USB cable with some sort of software for moving your files from one to the other.. might just check with them..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Similar situation here- I want to share files and printers between the PC and the laptop, both XP Home. Can I just plug in an Ethernet cable to the ports on each, and run the wizard?
WA2RBA
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Yes, should be able to. Most current ethernet ports will auto-negociate the speed and cable pin out. If they don't, then you'll need an ethernet crossover cable.

With a direct connection will not be a DHCP server, so you will have to manually assign IP numbers. Then set up file share permissions.

Wait a minute !!! If both can access Internet through a WAP (wireless access point), then you only need to set up file sharing.

Cheers,
Dale Y
jwax

Post by jwax »

Ah! Crossover cable! That may be my problem.
I do have a Netgear Wireless G Router, but tried several times to wireless share files/printers, but they still aren't seeing each other. That's why I thought the cable would work easiest.
One more question- Must I have both Windows Firewalls "OFF", in order to share files?
WA2RBA
desy2820

Post by desy2820 »

Several moving parts here.

1. Set both computers to use the same Workgroup name.
2. For XP, enable file and folder sharing. If memory serves, this will open the firewall ports, if not, you can temporarily turn off the firewall. Go to Control Panel, then Network Connections. Next, right-click on your connection and select Properties from the menu. Next, below the window, select Install, it will then give you three choices. Since its already on my system, I'm not sure if its a client, service or protocol. Go thru each of these until you find "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks." Install it.
3. Right-click and turn on sharing for the folders you want. You won't see the computer on your network unless it's sharing something. I commonly share the "Shared Folders" or "Public" folder over my home network.

It should work now. Use Start, Run, then type "\\computername\" to connect and see the shared folders. For me, it's \\home-desktop\

I hope this helps.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanks all. One more thing to allow printer sharing- there has to be a "User" in both computers that's the same. I had a User "jwax" in the laptop, but not in the PC. All else was done right, but still no sharing until I created a User in the PC called "jwax", then windoze allowed sharing to work.
WA2RBA