Program to clean-out Macromedia flash player

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Bear

Program to clean-out Macromedia flash player

Post by Bear »

Does anyone know of a program to clean-out the Macromedia flash player in it's entirety, including the registry?
I want to down load the latest version of the flash player, but it says to delete the current version. Easier said than done. When I search for Macromedia(in the search function in Win XP), I come up with about 70-80 files all stored in different applications. Since I am not familiar with editing the registry, I really do not want to delete those files since I don't know if they are necessary for the OS. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You & take care all.

Dennis
ltx71cm

Re: Program to clean-out Macromedia flash player

Post by ltx71cm »

Have you tried going through the uninstaller? Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and then click Adobe Flash and select install. It should be that easy.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Hi Itx71cm!! I have tried everything & nothing seems to work. I have tried the uninstaller. There are no Adobe or Macromedia programs listed in the programs file. The only way I can find any Macromedia files is to go to the search function in XP and search. The only two folders that show up are Macromedia & Macromedia.com.
Macromedia has 27 files like www.miriam-webster dot com in it & Macromedia.com has 29 files in it like
#www.miriam-webster dot com. The files seem to be mirrors of each other. The files in the ".com" are almost the same except for the "#" at the begining of the file name.
If I ever get the last of the "ADOBE" junk out of the computer, I will never put any Adobe stuff back in.
It took me a long time to hunt down & remove all the Adobe reader stuff but I did finally succeed.
I even tried the Microsoft installer cleanup, but alas, it is not listed there either.
I have tried the adobe website w/no luck.
Anyways

Thank You

Dennis
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Make like Steve Jobs and push that Adobe aside :razz:

I don't know a good tool for that but I have a suggestion or 2.

The first is preemptive, you should install an installation tracking tool to keep track of everything that you put on, it makes it much much easier to uninstall programs that either don't have an uninstaller or ones that leave pieces behind when you uninstall.

You may be able to install one of those programs then install macromedia again then uninstall it using the first utility.

Deleting the program folder is a good start to removing macromedia but there are likely components in the windows subdirectories here and there. To find all of them you will also have to search running processes. Use MSCONFIG (from the run box) you may find and be able to deactivate additional DLLs. Furthermore, there will be various registry keys that may be either inert after deleting the programs thay manage or actively pointing to other YSR type components.

BTW, is there a program that can read PDF without an adobe component? It would be a pain if one couldn't open at least that common file type.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

haklesup wrote:BTW, is there a program that can read PDF without an adobe component? It would be a pain if one couldn't open at least that common file type.
Yep, there are quite a few out there. I had to get one for my youngest's revamped Win98SE computer
because Adobay (that's french :razz: ) won't go any lower than XP for an OS. I installed FoxIt Reader.
They, unlike that other sluggish behemoth, actually have an archive of their older stuff for older systems.
I say PPPBBLLLFFFTT to Adobe! Foxit Reader is infinitely faster at loading and rendering, plus it allows you
to edit the PDF to a degree. Try that with that original brand name. :/

Oh, it's free, too.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

won't go any lower than XP for an OS
I can send you a link to Acrobat 6.1 installer I have if you want me to. That will run on 98SE.
it's 16MB, I can upload it to a webspace and send you a link via PM
(scared of Adobe lawyers if I post it in the clear)

Evidently PDF emerged in the Public Domain a year or two ago hence the proliferation of readers and writers from open source sources.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Gentlemen...Thank you for your replies. Sorry I have been late responding, but I had some vertebrae fused in my neck and have not been feeling up to par.
Re PDF readers I have been using a reader called "soft expansion". It is from a company in Germany. It is a wonderful program. It will not only let you download and read PDF's, but it will let you edit, print and/or fill in a PDF form. I have used it many times to fill in forms on the web and send back to the originator of the form. I have even used it to fill in and submit forms for the "California dept. of motor vehicles". I have never run across a form I could not deal with. It will also let you create your own PDF's.
The website of the company is HTTP://www.soft-expansion.com. And it is FREE for personal use. Sorry if this post is a little too wordy or disjointed but once the percodna/percocet takes effect it makes me a little whippy.

Take care all

Dennis