Sticky web pages...

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Sticky web pages...

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Some web pages cause the browser 'back' button to not go back to the previous page visited, reappearing again and again at every push, and to get out, you must open the index visited and select where to go back.
What setting / tweak would avoid that stubborness ? (Win XP - I.E. 8 )

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dacflyer

Re: Sticky web pages...

Post by dacflyer »

i hate that too,, happens with me also on certain pages.. sometimes if you click fast enough it will pop out..but then you might go back too far..lol
i do not recall having this problem with Firefox.. only with IE....
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Externet wrote:Hi.
Some web pages cause the browser 'back' button to not go back to the previous page visited, reappearing again and again at every push, and to get out, you must open the index visited and select where to go back.
What setting / tweak would avoid that stubborness ? (Win XP - I.E. 8 )

Miguel
I've had that happen too. {I use FireFox Version 3.6.3}
But only on certain sites that require security when you put in private information.

Thou, I have gone too some shady sites that just won't let you get away from them no matter what you try.
Only thing I could do was shut down my browser, and then restart it.
I haven't had that happen in sometime now.
{I was probably still using Version 3.1 at the time.}

Signed: Janitor Tzap
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

A non-functioning back button is often the result of what many consider to be poor web design. What typically causes this is a meta or header redirect that takes you somewhere other than what you originally clicked. When you click the back button your browser is pointed to the redirect page which just brings you right back to where you were. Like dacflyer mentioned if you click back multiple times in rapid succession sometimes you can get to the page before the redirect. This is not something a browser setting can fix. There are a few work arounds but you may find they annoy you more than help. The work arounds could also lead to you paying twice on some web sites so be mindful. In Firefox, IE, Opera or Safari you can disable redirects and instead of being automatically forwarded you will be prompted to follow it instead.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

mnus123 wrote:This usually happens in paypal payment pages if I want to go back. I think it is done intentionally on some sites. I wonder what code they use to do that? Do they do it using javascript? I would love to have that feature on some of my webpages even though as a browser I hate when that happens to me while visiting other sites
There are several ways this is done on a web page. Here are a few samples of code that provide an overview.

This is generally done intentionally.

Ron