can not any longer view .BMP files - HELP

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

can not any longer view .BMP files - HELP

Post by dacflyer »

not sure what happened, but i no longer can view .BMP files in win98se.

also earlier i had aproblem with outlook express 6
so being a dum dum, i thought i'd uninstall it thru "add / remove programs"
it did remove it somewhat. but there is still residual stuff in it...
i looked thru my win98 disk to try to reinstall it, but when i click on the tab to add the outlook express, it does not do anything as far as showing details..and so it will not install..

any suggestions. on either problem...and do not say upgrade, i am working to build a new machine soon, i just have other obligations for now, that demand to be taken care of 1st.
thanks...
sofaspud

Re: can not any longer view .BMP files - HELP

Post by sofaspud »

BMP files first...
What application were you using before to view BMPs?
Have you tried right-clicking on a BMP file and choosing 'Open with', then 'Choose default program' from the menu?
I think you can also set file associations from Windows Explorer, but I can't recall the details.

Now to Outlook Express...
"Residual stuff"? I can't be sure what that is, but back it up. Even if that's just moving it to a Temp folder on your hard drive.
My guess is those are your mail folders, etc. and the install isn't allowed for privacy and security reasons. So once you've
cleared all that old stuff, retry the install. Hopefully the setup will see a clean install and continue successfully. Once you have
the reinstall done, you can move the old stuff back over and you should be back where you want to be.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

.BMP was viewed with windows..i didn't use any special program. i think it was viewed in microsoft paint.

as far as my outlook express, once i open it,, its locked up. i cannot do diddly squat. i have to CTL. / ALT. / DEL to get it to close..
i looked in add / remove programs,, outlook express is not shown, but windows still sees it somewhere. and the desktop short cut is still there too. so somewhere its not fully removed.
and i do not know where it could be.. nor how to transfer the inbox mails.. i know how to save the address book.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Can you still run MS Paint and can you open files from its file browser? If you can, you probably just lost the association of the extension. See the File types tab in the Folder Options of the Tools menu of Windows Explorer. It may also be erroniously associated to a wrong program. After removing all associations for BMP, double click on a BMP and the OS should ask what you want to open it with.

Worse comes to worse, search the registry for BMP and see if that leads to any clues.

WRT Outlook, have you tried downloading a new installer from the Microsoft website? From this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270696 I learned you actually need to reinstall internet Explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... fault.aspx
I haven't run this but there may be a repair option in addition to install and remove.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, i think i found out why i cannot view bmp files,, i tried to go to the MS paint program from the start tab..then i clicked it,, it went to disk compact agent.. so i went back to the tab abd clicked properties.. and this is what it showed.. "C:\Program Files\PLUS!\CMPAGENT.EXE"
perhaps if you might know the correct extension to the paint. i can change it in properties. and that might fix it.

i have to read into the mail deal to see whats up with it..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Just looked at my old Win98 machine. The properties to the short cut said (paraphrased, I didn't write
it down) - C:\Program Files\Accessories\MSPaint.exe
When you hit the "Properties" and pull up the box, click the Find Target button and look for MSPaint.exe
in that location. If you can't find it that way, do a search/find for it then do as above in that location.

As for Outlook, did you go to the MicroSoft legacy pages? They still have older versions of their apps
available for download (at least they did last year). Just search for your version and try to reinstall it
once you back up your inbox etc. files. I think they are PST files, but I'd double check that.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

What pray tell is "disk compact agent"? Any software that calls itself "agent" I automatically assume is working
for the other side! :lol: If it's anything to do with compressing files automatically to save drive space, my
advice is disable it asap. Or sooner.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks guys.. i got it straightened out..
i was able to reload accessories, so now mspaint works again..

and i got the mail working again..
somehow my puter did not like certified emails.. inbox mail box looks like a envelops with a red ribbon symbol at the right bottom corner of it.. anyway i went into
windows - application date - identities - (random number file) - microsoft - outlook express...
then i cut out the inbox file. .DBX (saved to desktop)

restarted, then went into MS mail.. its working again now.

now, i have this question.. is there a way that i can go into the .DBX file and remove the email in question , and then put the rest of the ones i want to keep back into the folder area i described above ?
if not, then no biggie,, there was just a few neet emails i liked in there..

ok, thanks again...
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

dac,

You could try to find a "inbox.dbx reader" or ".dbx reader" and see what is out there. A quick check shows DBXAnalyzer
as a possible solution to your quandry. There is a trial version there that ought to get to your fave mails. No, I
don't actually know anything about it other than what is on the website. A thorough check as to it's veracity would
be prudent.

Maybe you could rename it someting like oldstuff.dbx and put it back in the folder again. See if Outlook can read it
then. If not, just move it back out.

Hope you can get them back.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?