Is this a scam and if so how does it work

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
haklesup

Is this a scam and if so how does it work

Post by haklesup »

My company gets these suspicious email inquiries from time to time. This week one came in with the following text
I will like to know if you ship to Malta? And you take American Visa Card,Master Card and Discovery Card.
We replied, 'yes we can ship there and can accept a CC', and the person correctly asked for prices on a product we resell but did not state the application for this hardware and indicated a shipping address and a preference not to use a common carrier like UPS, FedEx etc. Claiming problems in import procedure they specified a carrier (presumably a freight forwarder) whose email in in the yahoo.UK.co domain. I couldn't find the shipper on the web but was able to find a company website matching the address given to us but the person was not listed on their team link.

So everything looks legit so far and assuming we get a CC # later and it clears does anyone see a method for scam in there.
MrAl

Re: Is this a scam and if so how does it work

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Any chance you can send them something small, relatively inexpensive, just to check everything out?
Then if everything still looks ok you can send them more.

Heck, maybe send them a letter first asking for something or stating something and then ask
the actual person who contacted you what the letter said.

Just some ideas in case nothing else comes up better.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

This one has more red flags than a drunken football game. Definately a scam at this point.
(better yet, More Red Flags than the Beijing Olympics)

The so called "Customer" replied and wanted to purchase one piece of equipment but did not consider the features options well, he just asked for a standard unit. Then supplied me with 2 credit card numbers without names and asked to make consecutive less than $1000 charges until the total was reached (big fat red flag there). Not only that but the order was sloppy, did not list what they wanted, totalled the amounts incorrectly and failed to provide a bill to/ ship to address, It wasn't even a PO but a casual email. Sorry but that smells fishy too.

In parallel, I contact this preferred shipper and they provide me with a quote more than twice FedEx rates but no physical address and the request that we pay with Western Union (another RED flag). Furthermore the shipper couldn't be found in a google search and his phone number showed up on a BBB website associated with a Haiti relief scam false phone number for the British Red Cross (the real BRC had a different number when I checked) (RED RED RED)

We called MasterCard and found out the credit card numbers were registered to a bank in the USA and not to the name of this so called customer or the company he reportedly was working for (More Red)

I think the way this works is that they make a purchase with the stolen CC and meanwhile we remit payment to a shipper who then disappears never to recieve the merchandise for shipping. Meanwhile the CC charges get reversed when the true owner reports the fraudulant charges later.

Next Step, Tell Mastercard to notify the owners of the cards that they may be a victim and maybe report the attempted fraud to http://www.ic3.gov. I may also contact the company this person said they were working for. Since they did not succeed, it may stop there, I'm not sure
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I get these scam mails frequently asking us to ship products we don't sell. If I'm in a playfull mood, I'll respond quoting outrageous prices and state we will accept a credit card charge with the shipping terms 180 days after full payment. They never respond back and I wonder why?

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Well, this guy responded and suspiciously too. Replying to my emails at what should have been 3AM at his location and calling me at the office number to check if I had put the charges through yet. He seemed very anxious to run the charges through right away but didn't blink at 6 week lead time and he tried to buy express shiping which was several hundred $ more but only 3 days faster.
I get these scam mails frequently asking us to ship products we don't sell. If I'm in a playfull mood, I'll respond quoting outrageous prices and state we will accept a credit card charge with the shipping terms 180 days after full payment. They never respond back and I wonder why?
If it were my scammer, he would have been delighted. While the initial Phishing hook was generic, he did take the time to look at my website and choose a convincing product WRT the company he was posing as. We get sales inquiries on that email daily (and sometimes starting out with sketchy details) so it was not unusual to respond as I did.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

The first tipoff should have been the yahoo.co.uk email for the freight carrier. Any reputable company will
have it's own email address, not a "throw away" account. I've seen my share of these come through company
mail over the years. They always got either reported and tossed or just tossed right off the bat.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?