Strange (font???) problem with winxp

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
psycho

Re: Strange (font???) problem with winxp

Post by psycho »

Thanks! It is set correctly, but thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed in the install log for that asian software that it replace comctl32.dll... I wonder if that is the problem.

kevin
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Hi Kevin

That file should have more of an effect on Styles:
When you work in a program that loads both version 5 and version 6 of the Comctl32.dll file in Microsoft Windows XP, the program may stop responding, and an access violation may occur in the Comctl32.dll file.

Note You may also see mixed window styles when you experience this problem. If a program selects Comctl32.dll version 6, the program may show a Windows XP style (Comctl32 version 6) window. However, if you experience this problem, the program may show both the Windows XP style and Windows Classic style (Comctl32 version 5) windows.
The above was taken from HERE. I guess you could check the System32 folder and see how many of that .DLL file you have. Wouldn't hurt. Also the link does offer a Hot Fix download for the problem, I am just not sure that is your problem, :(

Before I forget, what version of Windows?

Ron
psycho

Post by psycho »

I have WinXP.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

OK, let's see what it is doing. Let's see what font the active window is using.

Right click an open desktop area and choose Properties.
Select the Appearance tab in Display Properties.
Click the Advanced button (right below Effects button).
You should be in the Advanced Appearance dialog box. In the upper window you see examples of Inactive Window, Active Window and Message Box.
Click on the text where it says Active Window.
Below Item you should see Active Title Bar with an option for size (should be 25) and color (should be blue and light blue).
Below that you should see the Font and it should be default of Trebuchet MS Size 10

You can try changing it to something else and then back after a restart and do the same for Inactive Window. Try a font like Times New Roman to keep it simple.

Ron