emachines computers

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Ed446

emachines computers

Post by Ed446 »

Are the emachines computers any good. I have heard that Acer has bought them. Walmart has 2 models EL1331G-01W and ET1331G-03W. Each one comes with windows 7 home premium. My cousin needs a new computer to use with Comcast internet service.
Edwin
reloadron

Re: emachines computers

Post by reloadron »

Not a bad system at all for the buck. Not a speed demon but for the buck this one is a good deal. I assume the user just plans basic task like Internet browsing and basic task it will do fine. Keep in mind it is not a machine designed for extreme gaming. I like the fact it has a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and 6 GB of RAM the 64 bit OS can make use of. This is the ET1331G-03W.
Processor Type: Athlon II X2 Dual-Core
Hard Drive Size: 750GB
Processor - Clock Speed: 2.7GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor Size: NA
Resolution: NA
System Ram: 6144MB DDR2 Dual-Channel
Type: Desktop Without Monitor
Model No.: EL1331G-03W
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 26.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 16.1 x 14.5 x 7.2
Instruction Manual: Y
Instruction Languages: English
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 000561129
Ron
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks Ron. It will probably be used mostly for internet emailing and maybe
word processing.
Edwin

More comments welcomed!
kheston

Post by kheston »

I owned an eMachine about 5 years ago for a few weeks. The PC was fine, but their support/warranty strategy was terrible.

When the CDRom stopped working, their only solution was to ask me to ship the entire machine (at my own expense) to them for service with a 3-week turnaround. When I asked them to simply ship me a replacement CDRom, they said it wasn't possible. The tech I spoke with actually admitted to me the policy was in place to discourage people from taking advantage of their warranty.

I took advantage of the retailer's 30-day return policy and got my money back. If Acer has purchased them, perhaps their whole warranty process has changed. Good luck!
Kurt - SF Bay
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

reloadron wrote:Not a bad system at all for the buck. Not a speed demon but for the buck this one is a good deal. I assume the user just plans basic task like Internet browsing and basic task it will do fine. Keep in mind it is not a machine designed for extreme gaming. I like the fact it has a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and 6 GB of RAM the 64 bit OS can make use of. This is the ET1331G-03W.
Processor Type: Athlon II X2 Dual-Core
Hard Drive Size: 750GB
Processor - Clock Speed: 2.7GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor Size: NA
Resolution: NA
System Ram: 6144MB DDR2 Dual-Channel
Type: Desktop Without Monitor
Model No.: EL1331G-03W
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 26.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 16.1 x 14.5 x 7.2
Instruction Manual: Y
Instruction Languages: English
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 000561129
Ron
Ron,
That does look like a good deal. :!:

But, bare in mind that Walfart doesn't do warranty work.
Thus, if there is a problem after {I think it's 30 days} the problem of getting it fixed, or replaced will fall to the manufacturer.
Which could mean shipping the whole computer back to the company. :(

Thou...
Does Windows 7 really need that much memory?
Or is it because of the on board video?
In any case this system would be more than good enough for most of the games out now. :smile:
Plus, if need be, he could upgrade to a 1Gighz Video Card later on.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

the policy was in place to discourage people from taking advantage of their warranty
I can read that two ways.

To take advantage as in "to make use of", well that would be an annoying policy (and a rather candid resopnse from the tech guy, I hope his phone call wasn't being recorded for the sake of his job)

To take advantage of as in "I'm being taken advantage of" meaning to use beyond the original intent, that's a whole different meaning and could be misinterpreted, I feel there are regional differnces in how the phrase might be used. I can imagine a company who bought multiple emachines, swapping a bad drive from a machine which is out of warranty and claiming it was from hardware in warranty.

Ultimately it depends on if eMachines records the S/N of each component installed or just recored the entire system as one unit.

Additionally I can see situations where they might replace hardware based on a customers diagnosis only to have it actually be a driver problem in the OS.

Always use the return exchange policy from a store before going to the OEM. Shipping at owners expense is SOP and for a PC that could match the replacement cost of certain components.

Aside from that I regard them as a decent budget brand.

I haven't made a PC warranty claim, Can anyone comment on other companies willingness to accept a customer diagnosis and send replacement hardware without question?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

All I can say about Emachines is related to my oooollllldddd (11 years now) 433 Celeron / Win98 unit.
This has been the best Win98 machine I have used. I think the reason being is that there weren't any
core (Windows core functions) customizations done whereas the others I had the (mis)fortune to use
were tweaked by the manu's (Compaq, HP, etc.) and that destroyed their reliability systemwise. The
lone downfall was that I had to spend another couple hundred dollars to basically max it out with memory
and a CD-RW. The only things that have finally gone toward failure mode were the PSU fan and the CPU
fan (see my previous thread entitled Power Supply Fan) and the RTC battery. This machine is still in use
as my eldest son's music recording center and is left on 24/7.

From the looks of the specs of your friend's prospective machine, it should serve quite well for a rather
long time. As for reliability, today's machines are a crap shoot because they all rely on the same basic
suppliers for components. Generally, if something is going to go, it'll go within the first year, usually during
the first four months of the first year. I hope he has the the good luck with his as I have had with mine.

CeaSaR

PS - My bro-in-law is the main computer guy in the extended family (I'm next in line) and he has been
using a new machine with Windows 7. Absolutely loves it over Vista. Compares Vista to Windows ME,
or as we have come to call it: Windows NOT ME!
Hey, what do I know?
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks for all of the replies. My cousin had a Gateway that went bad. If you go the emachines web site, it also shows Gateway on it. She decided to buy a Compaq from the local Office Depot. She also purchased an extended 2 years Office Depot warranty. They told her that if she needed warranty work that would come to her house to do the repairs. If something such as lighting wiped out the whole system, they would replace it free.
Edwin