Radio Shack is creating new robotics kit

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Adam Y.

Radio Shack is creating new robotics kit

Post by Adam Y. »

I figured everyone on this forum would like to know about the new kit that radio shack is coming out. It seems to be advertised as a kit that contains over 300 differnt parts and is based on the First robotics competition. Type vex into radio shacks product search and you will be redirected to the website.
Gary

Re: Radio Shack is creating new robotics kit

Post by Gary »

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm not impressed so far. The web site is animation based and loads slowly, and there is no way to bypass this. Dial up connection is very slow.<p>The mechanical animation shows two toothed wheels tied together with a red belt, the toothed wheels apparently climbing a rope. Mechanically, that would be difficult as one goes clockwise, the other counter-clockwise to do that. Their red belt would have to be in a figure 8 to allow that motion, but it isn't! Mechanical geniuses thay ain't!
Adam Y.

Post by Adam Y. »

Heheheh you are right. That animation is even weirder than you think it is because if you look closely both wheels are being driven by a motor. I don't even think it's possible to drive the wheels like that with motors. Here is another link related to this kit that should load faster:
First link<p>[ March 08, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]</p>
Adam Y.

Post by Adam Y. »

PC magazine article It confirmed my suspicions. This kit is essentially a cheaper version and improved of the edubot kit that costs twice that amount.