Gumstix For Robots; Robot Kit To Use With Gumstix

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
BobCochran

Gumstix For Robots; Robot Kit To Use With Gumstix

Post by BobCochran »

Hi, I am interested in buying Gumstix and building a robot based on a Gumstix computer-on-module. Is anyone actually using Gumstix as a robot's brain? Can you suggest what Gumstix modules and accessories I should order for starters? I've looked at the Gumstix.com site, and I've noticed their robostix board accessory for the Verdex Pro XM4, but I am unsure whether the Robostix can be used in the seemingly more capable Overo modules. I'm also unsure how to adapt Overo modules for robotics applications.

To make this simple: what Gumstix components should I buy for a robot project?

Can anyone suggest a good robot kit that can be used with the Gumstix for learning purposes? I'd like a robot with a body large enough to take some significant payload later as I gain experience with gumstix modules.

I posted a similar inquiry to the gunstix-users mailing list and have Googled to check into published Gumstix projects. Some of these such as flying a Gumstix-based model helicopter are far ahead of my current skills -- I don't yet know how to fly an aircraft.

Thanks,

Bob Cochran
brandiex

Re: Gumstix For Robots; Robot Kit To Use With Gumstix

Post by brandiex »

How many different paths can the robot take? There is a 10 x 10 grid. I'll indicate the intersection of grid lines, considering the bottom-left one to be (0, 0) and the top-right to be (10, 10). A robot takes either a vertical line up or horixontal line right each second to reach the top-right in 20 moves. However the point (4, 5) is forbidden. The robot gets the electric chair it it gets to this point.