It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Who Needs Smith & Wessen
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm 

The author needs to read the Wikipedia article on zip guns. Easily built guns have been part of the culture for decades. The only thing new, is the idea that you can build one on a 3D printer. What hasn't changed is that there really isn't a use case for a home made or 3D printed gun. You can easily purchase the weapon of your choice and get something that won't blow up in your hand. Zip guns pretty much disappeared with the increased availablity of manufactured guns.
I leave it up to you to decide if having a gun increases or decreases your personal security.
The only plausable use for a plastic gun is to use it on someone behind a security barrier as a political statement. This situation is the ultimate act of civil disobediance, and is an exchange of your life (or at least your freedom) for that of your target. A plastic gun if the sort pictured is a close range weapon, so you have to get very close to the target to have any hope of doing serious harm. The material properties of the barrel and it's smooth bore don't permit real accuracy, large caliber, or much muzzle velocity. Also, bullets are metal, which complicates things. In short, a bad idea.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Who Needs Smith & Wessen
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:53 am 

I agree completely, they complain about the gun laws, but if they really want to stop people, limit the ammo. metal or plastic guns are only good if you can get ammo for them. That or make them take an IQ test for buying the gun/ammo, they do that and they'd knock off around 80% of the crime out there. :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:06 am 

Limit the ammo? I doubt that's practical. Why not 3D print bullets, and the chemistry of primers/powders are readily available.
Glass bullets, or plastic, or ceramic are all possible home brew and lethal projectiles.
The idea that anti-gun laws will prevent, or even change the rate of crime has been proven ludicrous.
Finally, the Second Amendment was created to allow the citizenry access to weapons to overthrow a government, foreign or domestic, that attempts to limit their freedoms.
End rant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:53 am 

So if we "limit" alcohol , will that limit the drunk driving deaths by 80%???
Maybe we can "limit" drugs and stop all that related crime...Oh wait drugs already are illegal...
People know they can break the law, strike a deal, and be back on the street in no time.. Punishing the offender, to me, has a better chance of working.
And, as mentioned, the Second Amendment allows us to keep the others...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 am 

Rambling on as I see it...
Got a serious problem? Just dial 911 and be prepared to wait 20 minutes for someone to show up. YOU are the first responder!
Gun laws, for the most part are a political back pat. Law abiding citizens don't need them and criminals don't honor them, so what's the real purpose except revenue.
Funny, when there is any problem the government adds fees and fines to fix it, but it still doesn't get fixed.
Prohibition didn't really stop drinking, it made it a bit difficult and more expensive then it was heavily taxed and that made it OK!
Do I have guns...yes? Did any of them ever kill?
Well maybe. Some were military issued and I don't know their history. But wait, that is OK since 'kill the bad guy' is endorsed by the same government!

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]