GFI tester - November 2016

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: [email protected]
KeepItSimpleStupid

GFI tester - November 2016

Post by KeepItSimpleStupid » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm

You can buy them. You can make them. What is the normal trip level,you'd have to look up. A resistor (suggest metal oxide) from ground to hot, at about 6 mA should trip the GFCI. e.g. R<=120/0.006 The problem is more complex when you look here: http://www.csemag.com/single-article/ul ... ba57a.html

I actually suspect that you may have an AFCI/GFCI combination and it's tripping on an arc fault because of the motor. If that's the case, I would consider an RFI filter (possibly medical grade which has a lower leakage) and appropriately sized ZNR's.

There have been reports of just plain flakey GFCI's. So contact the manufacturer too.