Range finder specs

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: [email protected]
sdzafovic

Range finder specs

Post by sdzafovic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:24 pm

I am looking to set up a way to remotely check the level in a well.

I would prefer to use something like an ultrasonic or laser rangefinder so I don't have to put a sensor at the bottom of the well.

Are there any ideas for sensors I might use? I need a range of 30+ feet.

Lenp

Re: Range finder specs

Post by Lenp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 am

One of our customers does well testing, for contaminants. He needed to accurately measure the water level when he inspected the well. I built a probe that could be lowered on a measuring tape. When it touched the water surface a bright LED turned on and he could see it down hole. There are electronic probes that do the same thing by lowering a cable and a beeper turns on.

I have a chemical water treatment tank that has a probe I designed. It is a hollow plastic tubing with 10 stainless steel screws along the side and a common screw in the bottom.
Each screw connects to a conductor of a ribbon cable, threaded through a poly tube. The circuit connects to a bar graph LED array and each bar lights when it is wet. You could also hook a signal to a selected point and get a low level alarm when the LED goes out. Seal the screws well or the wire will corrode!
There are also pressure sensors tht could be calibrated for depth of a tube going down the well.

Maybe there's an idea in this for you?
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)

sdzafovic

Post by sdzafovic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:19 am

I'm trying to set up a remote station that will communicate by cell modem, and will hopefully integrate the water level in the well and a weather station.

It seems less complicated to have a sensor that will detect the water surface and allow me to determine water height that way rather than an in-water sensor, since then I have to compensate for atmospheric pressure, as well as running wires all the way to the bottom of the well.

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 am

As a side note...
I wonder what reflections from the well pipe will do to a ultrasonic system's accuracy?
Len

sdzafovic

Post by sdzafovic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:01 am

Well, we'll see if this works. I think I will go with the Maxsonics MB-7066.

According to Maxsonics, it has a 10m range, should be good for the temperature range I am thinking is reasonable to assume, and has PWM and analog voltage for hooking up to an Arduino.

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:39 am

Keep us in the loop!
Len