Opening .ASM and .HEX files

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: [email protected]
slanwar

Opening .ASM and .HEX files

Post by slanwar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 am

any time I download a project I have no idea which program I should get to open the files, extension .asm and .hex.
Thanks

slanwar

Re: Opening .ASM and .HEX files

Post by slanwar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 am

Messing around the net and I have a feeling those files are to program the chips, I though they were the schematic from the project.

cae2100

Re: Opening .ASM and .HEX files

Post by cae2100 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 am

It sounds like your dealing with PIC microcontrollers. If it's a .hex file, you can write it directly to the PIC chips using a programmer like pickit2 or something similar. .ASM files are assembly language files, just open those up in MPLAB software, and it should compile to the chip your using, but most of the time, where there's .asm files, there's the .hex file which is already pre compiled, so just ignore the .asm files. Most people just deal with the .hex files, but include the .asm files with it so people could change things or modify the code to suit their situations, or to use it on other PIC chips.

For the programmers, there's a ton of different types, I used a K150 for the longest time and a pickit2.