Need help to repair heater that works in remote control.

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: QA@nutsvolts.com
frank_fg

Need help to repair heater that works in remote control.

Post by frank_fg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:34 pm

smile:

Hi!

I have a Smart-Stat-II Remote Control Heater Model 5500 Ave.

It turn on and off my Heater and Fan, I am able to turn the Heater and Fan manually.

It basically control a relay.

The question is, is it the receiver or the transmitter?

I would like way to troubleshoot this kind of remote control circuits.
I would like to build a test box that would help me troubleshoot this kind of circuits.

Thanks
Frank G.

cae2100

Re: Need help to repair heater that works in remote control.

Post by cae2100 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:08 pm

first, I'd test the remote to see if it's even working. Most that Ive seen works off of IR, so just point it at a cell phone camera and see if you can see the led light up through the phone's camera. That should give you a good place to start and show if the remote is working or not. If it's not, I'd try looking at the most simple options first, try changing the batteries. :P

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:05 am

same here,, 90% of the time the problem is the remote control...
if nothing else get another remote off of ebay or something..

frank_fg

Post by frank_fg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:49 am

Hi!

I did what you suggested and it did not work.

I was told by the manufacture that if I could turn the receiver
on and off manually the receiver was good, and the transmitter
was bad.
Because if the receiver was bad, I would not be able turn it on or of manually.

That confused me in that you could have a bad receiver and still be able to turn it on or off manually.
So I thought.

It look like it is the transmitter and it uses surface mount devices.
The part number are covered over.

well what can I say, I tried.

Thanks
Frank G.

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:29 am

Don't quit yet! Here are some points to consider.

If there is a set of switches for a 'security' code be sure the receiver and transmitter are set the same. I would operate each switch just to be sure it is not midway or making a bad connection.

Also check the manual to see if there is some 'learning' that must be done between the transmitter and receiver.

Are you sure the remote is IR and not RF? Look for the IR LED usually in the front. There are many RF designs that make it cheap to use. Look for an FCC registration number that 'MAY' be on the transmitter.

Place a miliammeter in series with the battery and press the button(s) to see if there is a current draw. No draw may mean a bad switch contact, a break in the PCB, wiring or something more serious.

I also disagree with the "manufacturer's" opinion about the receiver. The receiver must operate some electrical power control to turn the unit on and off. If the manual switch operates the same controls the receiver portion of the circuitry can indeed still be bad.

Unfortunately, the information that comes with many products will direct you to service or support but it is often to the importer, who knows really nothing about the product's technical details. They only sell and distribute it and make a feeble attempt at support by replacing it if it is still in warranty. The manufacturer often builds the product under a contract, labeling the product with whatever name is desired and ships them here with no strings attached. That leaves whatever support can be supplied to the importer.

If these units are still sold locally maybe you can isolate the problem to the transmitter by testing it at the store

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)