Interface to an existing LED circuit

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: [email protected]
BenUmberger

Interface to an existing LED circuit

Post by BenUmberger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 am

Often time there is a working piece of equipment with LED annunciation that you wish you could "bridge" in some fashion to connect to other equipment and know if the LED is on or off.

How would one electrically (not optically) "bridge" such an LED such that you can trigger a logic input on some other piece of equipment and stay isolated between the 2. I wish that there was a simple device that you could simply attach to the legs of the LED and get a near short on another set of legs. Ideally there are no external power supplies involved. Is there perhaps a very hi impedance Opto that could be used more or less generically on most any pre-existing LED circuit?

Maybe the brain trust has the answer or a suggestion on how to Google the question.

Thanks in Advance

dacflyer

Re: Interface to an existing LED circuit

Post by dacflyer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 am

put a opto-isolator in series with the led..not parallel ( won't work )
then on the other side of the opto- put your circuit to use what ever it is...
you may, or may not have to adjust the series resistor of the led.
i have seen many circuits have a led in series with the opto-isolator and they work just fine

Lenp

Re: Interface to an existing LED circuit

Post by Lenp » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 am

Yup
That is the way to go. Safe isolation low cost and an easy to-do.
Isolator could be in or out of the equipment. Isolators are available with parallel opposing dual LEDs so polarity is not important. Transistor, triac or resistance outputs are all common. Multiple isolators in the same package can also make it simpler.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)