Changing boot sequence in WIN8

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: QA@nutsvolts.com
Rodney

Changing boot sequence in WIN8

Post by Rodney » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 am

I have the Dell Inspiron 6000 desk top and am trying to set the boot sequence to allow booting from the CD drive or the USB. I can not find out how to do that. I want to put a live CD (Ubunto Live disk) into the CD drive and boot on it. I contacted Dell through their chat system with no luck. They told me to repeatedly press the F12 key during boot up. That does not work. Elsewhere on the web, I was told to use F2 while the Dell Logo was showing on start up. That does not work either. Any suggestions or advice. I also tried to load Ubuntu using WUBI that was on the Ubuntu disk. It loaded but would not boot into Ubunto when that OS was choosen after the choice of either Win8 or Ubuntu was given on the screen on start up. It would default to Win8 though.

cae2100

Re: Changing boot sequence in WIN8

Post by cae2100 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 am

alot of the dells are like this, but as soon as you press the power button to turn on the computer, just spam press the f12 key over and over because most dells ignore the keyboard/mouse until the bios is finished checking everything. Another thing to check is to make sure that you shut down the computer and not hibernated it, Ive seen a bunch of computers, if you sent the computer into hibernation, it wont let you access the bios until the computer was fully shut down or restarted. F2 key is generic key for dells to access the bios, and since you cant access either, Im guessing that the computer is going into some type of hibernation mode instead of shutting down.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Some info I'm finding suggests that this may be the characteristics of the mother board. It sounds like the mother board is set up for UEFI (extensible firmware interface) which is a whole new feature on some of the newer computers. I'm not sure of that, need to do some more research. Any one know for sure?

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:28 pm

UEFI is just part of the bios, to access the bios, it's all the same for dell computers. Your worrying about something that shouldnt be worried about. Its like worrying about if a car will run if the back seat buckle is buckled.

Another thing that you can try, which is for most motherboards that isnt OEM systems, spamming delete key, not backspace, delete key when you press the power button on the tower. Might work, but probably wont, always worth a try tho.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 am

Unfortunately none of the suggested ways of getting to the BIOS worked. I did get to it by going "settings", clicking on "change PC settings" under the power down icon, Going to "General", move mouse to right hand column and go to bottom item and click "restart". That brought up some more choices where I clicked on "troubleshoot" which brought up a BIOS screen where I clicked on "boot". You can select a sequence of 5 items to boot 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and fifth. They are 1:USB Floppy Device, 2:UEFI Windows boot, 3:internal ODD devices, 4:USB Storage Devices or 5:OnBoard NIC Device. Now, none of these appear to be a CD drive. I tried to set USB Floppy Device as 1st boot with no luck, it still booted directly in Win8. I'm still trying to find out more.