Measuring effectiveness of sun glasses

This forum is a continuation of the printed column "Q&A", where I answer questions about all aspects of electronics, including computer hardware, software, circuits, electronic theory, troubleshooting, and anything else of interest to the hobbyist. Feel free to participate with your questions, comments or suggestions on answers printed in the magazine. Send all NEW questions to: [email protected]
Paragon

Measuring effectiveness of sun glasses

Post by Paragon » Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

I was surprised to find out that sellers of sun glasses whether professional or fashionistas don't have the equipment to demonstrate to their customers the actual effectiveness of their sunglasses. I brought in some sunglasses both prescription and commercial to a couple of local eye-care providers and was surprised that they have NO CAPABILITY what-so-ever to verify the alleged filtering effetiveness of my glasses or in fact ANY of those they were selling. With imports, knock-offs, etc. etc. market and prices ranging all over the place, the consumer is at the mercy of the provider to deliver a credible, verifiable product.

With optical sensor technology available today, I think it would be an interesting project to develop a device that can once and for all measure how effective a pair of sunglasses are in absorbing, filtering, reflecting, etc. the damaging transmitted UV radiation. Here's what wiki has ...........................................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses.

dacflyer

Re: Measuring effectiveness of sun glasses

Post by dacflyer » Sun May 05, 2013 6:06 pm

i repaired a UV tester for a optometrist before, he said he uses it to check UV filtering of glasses all the time.
any optometrist should have one.. or you'd think so...
the unit i repaired i did not check well on how it was made, all i did was replace the UV lamp in it..
it had a optical sensor and read the % of UV passing thru the lenses.