It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 400hz power supply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:57 pm 

I need a 400hz 115v @ about 200ma OUTPUT power supply for my flight simulator flight director instrument. Or a frequency converter to convert 60hz to 400hz. I have asked this before...about 10 years ago but never received a good solution....I picked up several power supplies from an aviation repair depot that were defective but could not locate the schematics so I gave up on that repair. That facility did not have them if you are wondering. Any help would be welcome.
400hz power supplies are very expensive or I would gladly purchase one.

Thanks,
Lazduc

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 400hz power supply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm 

from what Ive seen of the schematics of them, all it is is a ac 110-120v to 24 volt transformer going to a rectifier and through a lowpass filter to convert the ac to dc, then it goes into a 400hz pwm generator and finally into a high frequency transformer to boost it back up to 115v.

ac 115 -> 24v ac -> rectifiers/caps -> dc -> PWM generator at 400hz -> step up transformer to 115v

also, Ive heard that a bunch of the old army stuff would run off of 115v 400hz, so maybe check out the old army surplus stores for one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am 

CAE2100,
We do not have any surplus stores in this area that I am aware of. Your simplified block version of a power supply would probably work for a device that could tolerate that current, but my device needs a very regulated, smooth, sine wave out. I am looking for a outlet that may have these types of power supplies, used or inexpensive. Surplus sales of Nebraska had a similar type but are sold out. Thanks for your sugggestions. Any other ideas are welcome.

Lazduc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:40 pm 

If these get too hard to locate or to pricey if you do, there is another alternative. 115Vac @ 200 ma = 23 watts of power. Sounds like a simple audio power amplifier driven by a simple 400 Hz oscillator would fill the bill. This would require a 120vac outlet and I am assuming this is available if the simulator station is located in a building of some sort. No Hi-Fi needed here, just bare bones straight forward circuitry. If needed, I am pretty sure that a 60Hz transformer can be used at 400 Hz for stepping up the output voltage.
Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am 

Try Fair Radio supply Dayton Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am 

Look at this for a DIY project!
http://www.kenneke.com/avionics.html

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]