can't get a FTDI to talk to a Arduino Uno..

This forum is dedicated to the author Joe Pardue as he teaches you about AVR C Programming in his workshop series.

Moderator: joepardue

dacflyer

can't get a FTDI to talk to a Arduino Uno..

Post by dacflyer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 am

i was given a Arduino Uno with a dead USB port ( the chip is fried ) i removed the dead chip in hopes to be able to use a FTDI to program the Uno with now. for some reason when i use the Arduino program, i can't get the FTDI to talk to the board.. is there some special setting to use?
i made the connections according to info i found on the web. just can't communicate..
i tried most of the setting i thought to use, but no luck.
any tips ?

cae2100

Re: can't get a FTDI to talk to a Arduino Uno..

Post by cae2100 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:02 am

have you set the new comm port in arduino software, if not, that'll do it. Another thing that I can think of is does the ftdi comm port show up in device manager, it might need the drivers installed. Also, can you post the error message you get in the arduino software, that will help a ton in diagnosing issues.

I would also triple check your wiring also just to be sure and make sure to have the crystal and caps hooked up right.

dyarker

Post by dyarker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:32 am

Whatever took out the USB chip, very possibly also took out that port on the Arduino too.
Dale Y

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:13 am

cae2100 >> i am trying to connect to the Arduino board chip directly, all the components on the board are still good except for the removed USB chip.. all else is working.
the FTDI drivers are installed in the laptop, but i can't get the arduino program to see the FTDI.
there is not a FTDI to select in the devices..only thing to select is the Arduino devices ( UNO etc.)

dyarker >> the cpu is fine, i used a good cpu from another arduino. and everything works fine. i just can't communicate with it.. there has to be a way to do it without having to remove the chip and programming it on another UNO.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 pm

oh, the arduino software doesnt care what you use as a usb-serial chip, so the ftdi will show up as just a standard comm port, same as arduino did. just set the comm port the same as the ftdi chip is using and it programs just as a normal arduino uno. The usb-ttl chip on the arduino is just a cheap/simple chip just to do that, there's nothing special to it that locks it to the software, the ftdi dongle/chip will show up just the same.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:39 am

Hmm, ok
well then i have to try some more things then.. i seen on the UNO there is 1 solider pads and a jumper across it, and it say about reset enable..it is located right next to the large crystal.
should i cut this or let it be ? been looking at images on the net on how to program Via FTDI.
but doing it directly to the board is being a challenge. trying to figure out how i need to connect the FTDI directly to the UNO to make it take the place of the bad USB..

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

yea, you can leave that as is, what it does is enable the programming enable on the chip used as the usb-ttl converter. A few people used to mess with that and reprogram it to make things like midi converters and such or joysticks, then they released the arduino leonardo which is just that chip only. If you are still having trouble with programming the chip, i would try wiring it up on a breadboard instead, just take the chip out of the arduino board.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:03 am

ya, that's what i may just do.. it does not seem to be as easy as i thought to just connect a ftdi and straight program the chip on-board.