future clock i want to build

This forum is dedicated to the author Joe Pardue as he teaches you about AVR C Programming in his workshop series.

Moderator: joepardue

dacflyer

future clock i want to build

Post by dacflyer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:59 pm

i have been looking to buy this clock for a very long time,,,seen it many years ago in a IMAX in Raleigh NC
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wich/item/a04307/
i have not been able to find one, but i ran across it here the otherday.. of course it is NLA.
and i was wondering how hard it would be to build one.
i am sure it can easily be done with a Uc.
the balls change color according to the hour.. the hour turns red. and minute are on the 2 digit display.
any suggestions / tips
type of Uc that would work with it. or suggested Uc

or is it possible with off shelf parts ?

cae2100

Re: future clock i want to build

Post by cae2100 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 pm

looks like just a simple RGB led setup, which you can use any microcontroller you wanted tbh, you said in the other post you did a led cube, so you know the layout and concept of charlieplexing the leds and such to run the whole thing. Only would need what, 3 for the RGB colors, and 12 for sinking transistors for the hours? so 15 pins all together, even the most basic ones can do that fairly easily as long as you have enough pins, or you can do it through another method like shift registers or whatever you want to use.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm

i'll probably build the clock 1st before i start wiring it up and such.. i do not wanna build the electrical yet and then not be able to build the clock.. :)

aretallack

Post by aretallack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:29 am

That looks like a pretty cool project. LED's inside ping-pong balls, and an LCD in the centre.

I guess a RTC will be needed which will chew a few more pins up. I'd probably opt for a shift register as you also need to control the LCD in the centre. As I'm an ATMega fan, I'd go with something simple like an ATMega328P...
----------------------------------------------------
Andrew Retallack
Crash-Banger, Prototyper, Designer, Developer, Author

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:15 pm

i'd be using LED, not LCD, but i am sure you ment that..
the atmega should be a good choice, i would not need a whole UNO..might be able to use some variant of it tho.
maybe one of the minis.. or i could breadboard the chip. not much to get one going..

just have to think the electrical out before i build it.. make a prototype, then get someone to help me with the code.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:32 pm

yea, I meant 7 segment display. lol, sorry about that, as you can see by the post time, 4:29am, at that hour, typos and messed up names are acceptable. :P

As for the code, if you need any help, I can help with that. Ive built a few similar projects, that depended upon time for clocks and such.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 am

cool., if your willing to help with code, that would be awsome for me :)
i'll be in touch.. i'll PM you later on.
might need help with GPS clock i have built also..friend was supposed to help me with code, but it seems he is too busy..